MW54 turbine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCN1313s.JPG

I just don't see it happening. That's a pretty complex engine with a high parts count. I haven't counted but if there were 100 different pieces that had to be made that would mean you would need to find 100 people willing and able to make 100 copies of there part and pay to ship those parts to 100 different locations around the world. That would be a ton of work and a good chunk of money to ship all the parts. There would be a huge chance that it would never get finished. If you want to do a team build and have it actually get finished pick out one of the steam engines that has a low parts count and keep the number of people down to 10 - 15 and your chances of a finished build will greatly increase. I was involved in team build 4 and I may be wrong but I think it was the only one that was finished. I also did a team build with the Metro Detroit Metalworking Club but everyone made there parts and only one copy of the engine was made. It is now the property of the club and goes to NAMES and Zanesville every year.

wanted to build one of these years ago..... and that may be a problem.
Wren turbines went under last year and stopped selling parts for home builders years before that. what you could buy was just what they had left. as they moved on to better turbines the MW54 was now obsolete and stopped making turbine wheels for it.

the MW54 turbo was also changed to the MW44 (you can still get these new from Turbines solutions) so again, turbine/turbo wheel no longer available.

next to put a downer on things..... you would need an MW54 to run it (or make a turbine the same size) but MW54 came in two flavors. one had a thrust turbine wheel. This turbine would go in your F16 etc. the one used for the turbo had (i think it was called) a high flow wheel.

MW54 are quite cheep now. but i have never seen one for sale with the "high flow wheel"

EDIT: just looked it up. it was called a "Gas generator turbine wheel" and not a "high flow wheel"

Last edited:
Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Latest posts

Back