Muller build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner312

gunner312
Reaction score
Muller Pictures 2.jpg
I just finished building a muller for my foundry. I kinda got tired of mixing petrobond (actually K-Bond) by hand. Turned out pretty good. As for the Semper Fi label, Hey I'm a Marine, what can I say. (LOL)

Last edited:
It does look very impressive but I cannot understand why you need it . For several years I operated my own small foundry producing non-ferrous sand castings and never once had use for a sand muller.
I bought "petrobond" ready mixed in 25 kg bags .
Petrobond is a facing sand and only a very small amount is required per mould .
Applied through a sieve a thin coat just covers the pattern surface , the remainder of the mould being re-used green sand.
I had about a 1/2 ton of mansfield moulding sand which was re-used daily and all that was required for use was a sprinkle of water and turning over with a shovel.
The market for precision castings being more lucrative I now only produce using the lost wax process.
Dan.

Well, I don't use greensand. I use K-bond sand (sand mixed with oil and bentonite clay with alcohol as a kicker.) Once used it requires re-mixing and it's a job to get it mixed cleanly with no lumps. I just got tired of doing it by hand and made this machine to do it for me. I guess at 72 I've become lazy.

Latest posts

Back