• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

MTP Taps & Dies

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am interested in any comments also. I looked at a set of 17 on the Taps & Dies UK website, even corresponded with them about shipping costs and where the tools are made.

Never got comfortable enough to spend that kind of money as the answers are vague. He said the tools were made in UK, but didn't have any such markings on them.

What did you decide?

Did you try Tracy Tools in the UK? I've had good stuff from them, but not specifically MTP.

Recently purchased some single MTP taps and Dies from the UK source. Service was good, shipping from the UK to the US is appreciable. Did save over $20 on my purchase compared to US prices. I have never bought a set of T & D's as you pay a for tooling you will never use. Both T & D's were clearly marked. Would most likely purchase from them again.

In April last year I bought from https://www.proopsbrothers.com/ in the UK several taps and dies, there was NO shipping charge! I got sets of three 5Ba, 7BA, 1/4x40 ME, 3/16x40 taps and two off BA dies for UK pounds 19.50. Could not beat that price anywhere. Unfortunately, they did not have any ME taps.

I would buy again if they have the stock, and the order came very quickly as well just over 2 weeks from ordering to receipt in Canada.

Last edited:
Bobs...thanks for replying about your purchase. Here is the set I was looking at buying;

http://www.tap-die.com/contents/en-uk/d21_MTP_ME_Taper_Pipe_taps_dies.html

I was ok with the "HQS" steel (figured it was their own brand of HSS), but put off by the "wooden box (British made)" quote. I tried to verify the origin of the actual tools and the told me made in UK but no markings on the tools. Are you saying the taps and dies you bought separately actually had British made markings?

Many thanks!

If you read the Tap-die blurb it says quite clearly " Highest quality steel , considered a tougher and better alternative to HSS".
So these tools are carbon steel not HSS !
If being used in brass carbon steel tools will last the average model engineer a life-time.
I have bought taps and dies from this company and apart from one die that had an incorrectly ground lead-in and was impossible to start , I have been happy with my purchases both in HSS or carbon steel.
Dan.

I use Tap & Die almost exclusively, and have done for many years.

Their HQS are carbon, but of fantastic quality, especially when cutting stainless, ground to razor sharpness and on perfect size, I have yet to have one break or go blunt in the dozen or so sets I have.

OK, they are rather expensive, but if you are after sets that last you a lifetime, they are the ones to go for.

A few years ago I was doing a long production run in EN1A, and thought to save wear on my T&D ones, I bought a set of 32tpi ME from Tracy tools. They may as well have been knives and forks, every tap and die was from a different manufacturer and not one cut to correct size, mainly oversize on the taps. I managed to give them away to a beginner just so he could practice with them. I ended up using my T&D set and every one cut tio size with no losses at all.
I think they are manufactured in India.

John

Carbon steel taps are entirely satisfactory for hand tapping, even in ferrous metals. By hand you are never going to run them fast enough to generate enough heat to draw the temper. Carbon steel cutting tools were the norm befort the development of high speed steels.

Latest posts

Back