MT5 to 5C collet adapter..

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf2qd

Reaction score
Recently got an Enco 12x36 lathe and I would like to be able to use collets in the spindle. I know I can get the whole setup from Grizzly, but like many others, the money can sometimes be in short supply and I think that I can reasonably make the rest of the parts save for the #5MT to 5C adapter that fits in the spindle.

2 questions - Anyone know the proper name for that piece?
And, Anyone know where I could buy just that part?

I bought one, used it a couple of times, sold it to another forum member and then bought a 5C chuck from Little Machine Shop which I mounted to a cast iron backplate. I think you would have to make your own tapered adapter. The tube adapters are not very convenient in my experience, i use the chuck a lot more and it is more productive..... make sure you get a collet block set as well.

An MT-5 is a big hole, 1.748" at the large end. Not difficult to make, but some issues to consider in the design. What is the bore through the spindle, you only need 1 3/8 for a drawtube, what will center the threaded end to catch the collet threads, how will you remove the adapter, a long bar with a large end, or a pushoff from the spindle thread.

Blue up the mt-5 and be sure the taper is a dead on match to the spindle, note where a relief if any is in the spindle so your design spans that section.

Machine the taper first, it needs to be within a .001 or it will be loose in the bore. After the taper is done rough the collet bore, then install in the spindle, cut final, and you will have as accurate a collet as you can make. make a mark on spindle a adapter so it can be installed same place each time.

Not much help if you already have a set of 5C collets but ER32 Collets are becoming very popular now as they clamp over a wider range than 5C so less collets are required. Lathe and spindle ER32 chucks are available at quite modest prices.

Back