Moving a Surface Grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyVa

Reaction score
Shopguy posted his Surface Grinder for sale on the HMEM board. I inquired about it and the price was right, all I had to do was to drive there to help him get it out of his house that he sold and needed to be out by the following week. Well I had the time to go for a quick trip to Alberta some 11 hours of driving and enough time to take it apart the first night. The night before leaving I had to take my son’s welding machine out of his truck a one ton dully Dodge.

I got up at 3:30 AM to head out for the long drive. I stopped at Tim Hortons for a couple of coffees and sandwiches for the trip. All I had to stop for was a little leg stretching and nature calls.

I hit the 401 highway about 3:50 AM, hit the cruse at 110 KM and go. When I get to hope BC it starts to snow…oh no this is not good. It snowed all the way to Golden BC then stopped. It seemed like I was at the head of the storm as there was not much on the ground all the way.

I was surprised at how much the snow depths differed in each areas where.

http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/ss166/PhillyVa/?action=view&current=IMG_0252.jpg

In the Canadian Rockies the grass is poking out and in other areas 4 or 5 feet.

There seemed to be more in the foothills.

IMG_0269.jpg

There is a stark beauty to the foothills of Alberta.

I hook-up with Ernie at about 3:30 PM Alberta time. We go over to the sold house and start to disassemble the grinder. We get it all apart and it’s dark outside…the decision is made to load in the morning.

The pictures of moving the grinder up and on the truck which took a few hours, go here…
http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/...RFACE GRINDER MOVE/?action=view&current=1.jpg http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/...tion-view&current=SURFACEGRINDERMOVEPICS2.jpg http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=SURFACEGRINDERMOVEPICS3.jpg http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/...tion-view&current=SURFACEGRINDERMOVEPICS4.jpg http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=SURFACEGRINDERMOVEPICS5.jpg http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/...tion-view&current=SURFACEGRINDERMOVEPICS6.jpg http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=SURFACEGRINDERMOVEPICS7.jpg

It only took me 10 ½ hours to get home. I think it’s all down hill from Alberta. It’s 3300 ft where Ernie lives. That’s only a theory of mine, the sunny sky and dry roads and a Dodge diesel just might have something to do with it.

The unloading only took me about 15-20 min. I had an I beam and a one ton chain bloke in my garage…simple safe…too easy…I love it.

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Together

IMG_0358.jpg

OK now it’s all together…time for a test. Oh-Oh what are the controls…what does what. I send Ernie an email and he sends me a reply of what’s what. OK good to go…or so I thought. Every thing works by hand but, I can’t make go on automatic feed.

Now I have to take it apart again (I’m sorry I didn’t take pic’s through this part but my hands are all greasy and black…my wife would choke me if I messed it up.

Every thing looks in order but one place I found had some shinny spots. I scratch my noodle and think there must be some info on the web. I go online and look up the patent office under Brown & Sharpe…I find this page 1 of 10 has all the info I need. It’s not the same but the idea is close enough for me.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=oj...a=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA3,M1

I’m looking at part #104

I had a chunk of brass for a quick temporary fix and trial, thinking that brass is soft and won’t do too much damage. It works YEA!

Here are some of the parts that clued me in…

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Now to make the part. I had a chunk of drill rod to turn down.

IMG_0374.jpg

Testing the part

IMG_0379.jpg

Now it’s parted off and slipped in position.

IMG_0380.jpg

Another view…

IMG_0380.jpg

Drilling it out…

IMG_0386.jpg

Finished

IMG_0387.jpg

Now in action

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

First job complete.

The top tool holder was done on a friend’s milling machine. It was the only one that was soft enough to cut with an end mill nicely. Now I have to buy him a new end mill. The bottom tool holder was done on the surface grinder…all nice and shinny.

Well I thought that this was over but, when I helped my son put his welder back in his truck I moved a chain and found the missing part under it. The picture will show the differences.

IMG_0544.jpg

Old part 0.791” dia. New part 0.785” dia.

IMG_0545.jpg

Old part 1.965” length New part 1.805” length

Not bad for guesses. The old part has some flat spots. I will make another 2 parts the right size and keep these for spares.

Just to take it a step further I could call Brown & Sharpe to get a new part from them. For a price of (just guessing) $80.00. This has been an interesting exercise and took a bit of time.

I’ll now thank Ernie and Carole for their hospitality. Ernie’s trying to set up his shop now in the new place. He has some interesting engines…I like the Tiny he built with a penny in the flywheel…maybe he’ll post a picture one day. OK that’s enough I should go and make some nice shinny parts.

Regards and a happy

Philly

Looking good Phil. Looks like you are in business. Glad it all came together. I wondered if the missing piece might show up somewhere. Good road pictures and of the fix. Keep us posted on your projects.
Ernie J :)

Hi Ernie,

The missing (original) piece is on the left...we found it under the heavy chain in the truck. How it got there... scratch.gif who knows scratch.gif

Regards

Philly

PS: Thanks goes to :bow: rake60 :bow: for getting this World Wide Community going...good job.

Good one Philly. :bow: :bow:

Isn't it amazing how a small but important part will drop of the face of the earth when you need it. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Philly,

Appears from your photo that the wheel is running CCW, I would check that to be on the safe side.

I have used a lot of surface grinders, but I don't remember any of them running CCW, always clock-wise.

If it is running backward, you stand a good chance of the hub nut coming loose with some bad after effects.

Please check it.

Kevin

Good observation Kevin.
When I bought the surface grinder "well" used back in 1993, my reaction was the same as yours,it's running backwards, and like you I had/have seen never or used one that ran counter clockwise. The table is in fact designed for a clockwise rotating machine. ??? Running it the other way caused the stone mounting arbour nut to come loose. Therefore I ran it the way it was happiest and it ground a lot of material for me over the years. I really don't know the history of this machine other than it came from eastern Canada at one time and obviously had been repaired a number of times. The shield was missing when I got it, a sheet metal version was what I used. My best guess is that some one made a new arbour at one time and cut the wrong thread for what ever reason. I never had the arbour out to see if it was a custom part. If anyone else has used a similar machine it would be informative.
Best regards
Ernie J

Kevin thanks for your concern for safety...It's a good thing. th_wav

joeby said:
Philly,

Appears from your photo that the wheel is running CCW, I would check that to be on the safe side.

I have used a lot of surface grinders, but I don't remember any of them running CCW, always clock-wise.

If it is running backward, you stand a good chance of the hub nut coming loose with some bad after effects.

Please check it.

Kevin

I was a saw filer for too many years to remember and we had grinders turning all different directions. I even took the grinding wheel off to check if it had cracked by ringing it (giving it a rap with a hammer handle...if it has a ring tone to it it's good, if it has a dull thunk...trash it).

Regards

Philly

Thank you for the information, Ernie!

Philly, you are welcome, and I'm glad that you see it see it that way!

A note to self: actually look at all the photos. I went back and looked at the photos in you links and I see the the machine was obviously set up to run that way. I wonder what B&S's reasoning was?

I have used many different brands of surface grinders over the years, and this is the first I've seen like that, learn something new everyday. I had a friend looking for a 6x12 Harig a couple of years ago, and I found one for sale for a very low price. He decided that he wasn't interested and suggested that I should buy it. I told him I would not be able to use it, and had him look at the photos again, the table traverse handwheel was on the RIGHT. Very awkward in use, I would think.

Looks to be a very nice machine though, looks well taken care of and should have many years left in it!

Kevin

CW vs CCW : The Delta we had at school for years ran CCW. When we got the new
Okuma (Sp?) it took me quite a while to get use to the idea of it running CW.
...lew...

Back