movable vise

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolland

Reaction score
I got tired of having to chase a part around on my bench vise, since it is fixed I have to change position or move the part.
So with a miled out bowling ball and a short piece of 8 inch sewer pipe, I happened to luck out and get the belled end I now have a moveable vise. I made a universal fixture and screwed it to a flat on the ball and wa-laa. I also used the internal seal to create some friction on the ball.
I have two or three different vises I can mount.
100_0954.jpg
100_0953.jpg

yea that is pretty cool....clever bit a sideways thinking there!

:bow:

Dave

Now that's clever - balls an all. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Nice idea, I even have a spare 16 lb Bowling Ball in the garage - but I don't have any 8 inch sewer pipe! :'(

Vic.

How did you put the flat on the ball?

Engravers use a similar device with the ball sitting in a toroidal leather pillow filled with sand. That might be an option for people who can't find a suitable piece of pipe.

Very cool. Like Marv said, it looks like a giant plastic version of an engraver's vise.

I've sawn a bowling ball in half, and drilled and tapped some holes in another ( no idea why, they were for a local bowling alley owner), but I've never made anything really useful out of one.

BigBore said:
I'm impressed with anyone who can get their ball stuck in an 8 inch sewer pipe! th_wav

Ed
When you have 8 inch balls keeping them in a sewer pipe keeps them from rolling off the table and breaking your foot.

Blogwitch said:
Does that flat metal plate and piece of pipe get in the way when you hurl it down the alley?

I did not use the pipe but the plate does cause a terrific hook and beside sit makes a terrible racket. The bowling alley ask me not to come back ::)
mklotz said:
How did you put the flat on the ball?
I strapped it to a piece of channel iron with a load strap and cut it with a sawsall. Had someone shot a video of me doing that it would have been much the same as watching two monkeys trying to have sex with a football.

If you don't have a piece of sewer pipe handy some people find a small rubber tire to keep the ball in place.

Hal

Hal said:
If you don't have a piece of sewer pipe handy some people find a small rubber tire to keep the ball in place.

Hal

Trouble is, I need all four tyres on the Mower ... Rof}

Vic.

Omnimill said:
Nice idea, I even have a spare 16 lb Bowling Ball in the garage - but I don't have any 8 inch sewer pipe! :'(

Vic.
I have seen this method used in the hand engraving world (shotgun parts etc) they would mount a small vice or similar on a bowling ball, and simply sit the ball in a small tyre or inner tube, as used on wheelbarrows or such, kind of gripped the ball better, might help if you can't get the 8" pipe!
Regards Max...........

Just re-read and realised several posters had mentioned the rubber tyre trick! my apologise for repeating this, i'll stand in the corner for half an hour :-[
Max............

Great idea, I am always trying to twist and turn around the vise trying to work on a part. Much easier to turn the vise instead. Some where down the line I ended up with 4 bowling balls in my Strategic Collection of Refuse, Accessories and Parts (SCRAP).

Might be able to call in a favor and get some 8" pipe if not I should be able to find an old tire..

The only problem I can see is it will move when I hit the workpiece with my lump hammer :big: :big:

Here is a fast version, with one harbor freight vise with the vacuum base removed.
DSCF9751.jpg

DSCF9752.jpg

The post is just a little larger that the finger holes, reamer one out and with a Chinese tire and inner tube to adjust friction on the bowling ball.
Not good for beating on but will work for holding and repostioning with out opening the vise.

I just found the rest of the piece I cut the one I am using off of. If any body wants it they can have it. It does not weigh much but I don't know if it will fit in a flat rate box of course it could always be mailed parcel post. Or I could cut it to fit in the large flat rate box.
Let me know and I will figure out a cost on shipping the pipe has never been put to use.

Back