Motor recommendations for My "Bonds Maximus" ("Portass Model S") please ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The motor used to drive My "Portass Model S" has recently burnt out in a dramatic fashion ..
As a novice I am wondering if experienced Members may be able to suggest an alternative motor I could purchase please ?
This would need to be single phase 240 Volts .
My aim is to turn fork bushes , valve guides , spacers , etc for My vintage Motorcycles in phosphor bronze , steel & cast Iron ?
Also hoping to be able to screw cut when I have gained confidence .
I live in North West Lancashire , U.K.

Thank You in advance ,
Stephen ..

Machine mart sell a good range, they are all over the area, one in Preston corner of Blackpool Lane, Ribhleton Lane. Also so in Wigan between Newtown and Robin Park. 3/4hp would be sufficient but for price difference go for a 1hp ( or .75kw), they come with different mounts so pick one that suits the portass, think but not sure thats a foot mount?

Oh by the way if your in the North West try Worden Park in Leyland and go meet the Leyland Society of model engineers, they run steam engines on a Sunday but do the full range of models, and agreat bunch of likeminded guys and very helpful. Also sometimes a source of used motors!. A few of us have also restored a few bikes

God's country. Just spent the weekend in Wigan.
We need the rating HP etc. of the expired motor to give best advice. I recommend a min. 1.5 HP for your machining needs. M/C fork bushes have big holes to bore out for less than 1HP, as you need speed and torque for bronze. My 1HP struggles for over 1 1/2" dia.
K2

Hi Charles. As bronze comes in various alloy mixes, and all copper alloys can come in various hardnesses, I have some "hard brass" and have previously experienced hard aluminium bronze that didn't machine like the softer alloys. Needed really sharp pointed tools and the right speed or the edge dissapeared almost immediately. The hard brass loads the motor like stainless steel, so if I suggest "bronze doesn't need torque" then I am not being true to my experiences. My lathe with a 1HP motor, at max speed (cutting 2500rpm) is gentle with torque, slows a lot with larger cuts. Geared for max 1 250 rpm has adequate torque for up to 1 1/2" dia, but then struggles on materials needing slower speeds due to the VFD CURRENT limitations. Wish I had better gearing! And a bigger motor!
K2

Oh by the way if your in the North West try Worden Park in Leyland and go meet the Leyland Society of model engineers, they run steam engines on a Sunday but do the full range of models, and agreat bunch of likeminded guys and very helpful. Also sometimes a source of used motors!. A few of us have also restored a few bikes
Thank You very much Sir ...I live in Leyland !
Will try to get to Worden Park shortly .

God's country. Just spent the weekend in Wigan.
We need the rating HP etc. of the expired motor to give best advice. I recommend a min. 1.5 HP for your machining needs. M/C fork bushes have big holes to bore out for less than 1HP, as you need speed and torque for bronze. My 1HP struggles for over 1 1/2" dia.
K2
Thank You ,
Unfortunately the data plate has always been missing from the old motor and I never knew its HP rating ?

Last edited:
Later Today I shall take pictures & measurements .
The motor is not attached to the lathe but connects by a belt so there are no dimension issues as there is adequate space on the bench ?

Regards,
Steve ..

Thank You ..sorry i havent responded sooner but My Mother is in hospital .
I bought a motor from W.Hargreaves in Preston & am going to set it up when time allows .

Latest posts

Back