Morse tape in lathe.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tevans9129

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the MT of an old Rockwell 10" lathe is? I have the manual but cannot find the info in it.

Hi,

Try a google search there is a lot of information out there.

I found this :-

https://www.mdna.org/images/File/files/5864.pdf
The 10 1/4 " says it is a MT 2.

I hope that helps.

Martin
Thanks for the info Martin...it is not a MT 2 in the spindle as there is a sleeve that reduces to a MT 2. much larger but not a MT 3 as it is also too small. Perhaps a 4 or 5 and I have found the specs so hopefully will be able to compare.

My paranoia says: if the lathe came with an adapter, there's a chance that the actual taper is a Rockwell WTF. There's no rule that says the manufacturer has to cleave to any standard; if no one was going to use the un-adapted taper but them, there's little impetus for them to use a standard.

No 9 Brown and Sharpe?

That's what Lathes Co uk hints

Of coiurse that is what would come out of the factory and if there are doubts about getting one without much proper tooling-- who knows now

Last edited:
The one a lot Lathe Manufacturers used Jono tapper (jono may be missing spelled)

Dave

The one a lot Lathe Manufacturers used Jono tapper (jono may be missing spelled)

Dave
Yes it is:) but no matter ,given the task of sorting out an odd ball now, I would head 100% to the extremely authoritative 'Lathes.co.uk' site.
Really it is a matter of finding what is ACTUALLY in the lathe in question NOW

I had one of those lathes and I vaguely recall the headstock bore fit a 4C collet. Tailstock was MT2.

Clausing Lathes have a MT 4-1/2
the sleeve is a reducer to reduce from 4-1/2 to MT 3
and I think the spindle mount on many Rockwell Lathes is an L-00 taper just like the Clausing 5900 series lathes. I’m just guessing, but if the Rockwell uses a sleeve, then it probably also reduces to a MT -3

Lathe head stock tapers are usually shorted sections of standard tapers. South Bend uses Morse (I have spindle adapters for Morse centers and 5C for the 13" and 1-A / 3C for the 9"), other makes may do the same or use other standard tapers.

Grab you adapter, your calipers and Machinerys Handbook and work out what it is.

No 9 Brown and Sharpe?

That's what Lathes Co uk hints

Of coiurse that is what would come out of the factory and if there are doubts about getting one without much proper tooling-- who knows now

I should be pleased if you will confirm or correct the information on the lathes.co.uk site which I accessed on your behalf
Regards

Norman

My apologies to all who have responded to my question and I have not responded and I will not go into the "why". Your responses are appreciated.

My paranoia says: if the lathe came with an adapter, there's a chance that the actual taper is a Rockwell WTF. There's no rule that says the manufacturer has to cleave to any standard; if no one was going to use the un-adapted taper but them, there's little impetus for them to use a standard.
You may be correct Tim, I admit to being ignorant in my understanding of the data in the Machinery's handbook but I have not been able to find anything with the dimensions that I have with the adapter.

I had one of those lathes and I vaguely recall the headstock bore fit a 4C collet. Tailstock was MT2.
That seems to be the closest to the adapter that came with the lathe but does not match up precisely in the MH at least with my limited knowledge. Thanks for the response Chris.

Lathe head stock tapers are usually shorted sections of standard tapers. South Bend uses Morse (I have spindle adapters for Morse centers and 5C for the 13" and 1-A / 3C for the 9"), other makes may do the same or use other standard tapers.

Grab you adapter, your calipers and Machinerys Handbook and work out what it is.
I tried but was not successful so gave up.

I should be pleased if you will confirm or correct the information on the lathes.co.uk site which I accessed on your behalf
Regards

Norman

Thanks for the information Norman but this seems to not provide a definitive answer, it can be either-or. I was hoping someone would have the lathe and would know from experience. Even that would not be absolute as there are different possibilities.

It is not critical for me at this time, I was thinking of getting one in the event of loss of my adapter, which I am prone to losethings.

If you're going to quote Tony you might as well just do it verbatim.

Particularly well-engineered, the headstock held a heat-treated and ground spindle with a bore of 15/16" and a (4C) collet capacity of 3/4". It ran in a large, double-row angular-contact, pre-loaded precision ball bearing at the spindle nose end and a "floating" bearing at the outboard end designed to compensate for spindle expansion as the machine warmed to its task. According to the sales literature the spindle was bored with a No. 9 Brown and Sharpe (B & S) taper and fitted with a short, hardened bush to take a No. 2 Morse taper centre. However, it is possible that later lathes may have been modified in this respect and the nose bored to the more common Morse standard. The ground-finished spindle thread was 11/2" x 8 t.p.i.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/delta metal/
My own limited experience with the lathe was motor/pulley alignment. Do get it right. The variable speed mechanism depends on following the installation directions to the letter.
If you think to skip the details or are sure you know better, I'll watch (and sell tickets).

Delta Specialty/Delta Mfg. Co./Delta-Rockwell/Rockwell Intl. - Publication Reprints - Rockwell 10" Metal Cutting Lathe | VintageMachinery.org

My only recollection of operating the lathe was it worked best near soaked in lube, just short of tossing it all over the place.
I've been called on to repair several gearboxes over the years but I never heard exactly what caused the damage. When the QCGB does go however it's a mess. Maybe someone could elaborate as I'm curious.

Latest posts

Back