• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Morrison and Marvin mini Wilton Vice kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coloscott

Reaction score
I bought this a few weeks ago and after looking at the directions and a magazine article I have realized I don't have the proper tools...mostly fixturing tools, and I hate the thought of doing this half way and messing it up. I'll let it go for what I paid for it plus reasonable shipping. The shipping box was opened but the parts bag is still sealed and no machining has been done to any of the parts. I'll include the August / September 2022 edition of Machinist's Workshop which should be a handy guide in addition to the printed out instructions.

$175

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPEG
    IMG_1110.JPEG
    384.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1111.JPEG
    IMG_1111.JPEG
    467.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1112.JPEG
    IMG_1112.JPEG
    471.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1113.JPEG
    IMG_1113.JPEG
    257.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1114.JPEG
    IMG_1114.JPEG
    347.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1115.JPEG
    IMG_1115.JPEG
    285.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1116.JPEG
    IMG_1116.JPEG
    553.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1117.JPEG
    IMG_1117.JPEG
    359 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1118.JPEG
    IMG_1118.JPEG
    475 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1119.JPEG
    IMG_1119.JPEG
    531.9 KB · Views: 3
I bought this a few weeks ago and after looking at the directions and a magazine article I have realized I don't have the proper tools...mostly fixturing tools, and I hate the thought of doing this half way and messing it up. I'll let it go for what I paid for it plus reasonable shipping. The shipping box was opened but the parts bag is still sealed and no machining has been done to any of the parts. I'll include the August / September 2022 edition of Machinist's Workshop which should be a handy guide in addition to the printed out instructions.

$175
Hi, would like to purchase your vise casting kit. Do you still have it? Thanks Dave

I'd put my name in line if it doesn't sell to 34Dave. I've built two and they are a fun project which turns out a very nice and useful tool. I wish they'd make more....

Martin

Those are some really fine-grained gray iron castings.
I wonder if they are ductile iron?

Sort of a lost-wax process look to them, since the detail is so fine and clear.

I found the video.
Extremely high grade process for sure.
Its not easy to get set up for lost wax, or lost PLA, and the slurry has somewhat of a short shelf life, or so I have heard.
Superb surface finish for sure.

Nice induction furnace.
The problem with an induction furnace is the electric service required, which generally needs to be 480 volt, 3-phase if the furnace is of any size.
An oil-fired furnace is a poor-man's induction furnace.

I would guess we are looking at maybe $100k-$150k of equipment in that video, not including the electrical service.

One sold on ebay late last year for over $1,500.00.
I am in the wrong business I guess.

That is a really tiny vice, and so the quality is all the more admirable.

Edit:
Cast in 4140 steel.
And thus the reason for the induction furnace.

That is some serious casting work right there.

Last edited:
"Those are some really fine-grained gray iron castings.
I wonder if they are ductile iron?
Sort of a lost-wax process look to them, since the detail is so fine and clear."

yes, the vise castings are lost wax,

$175
Well after several attempts to contact coloscott, no reply back? Does anybody have a set of these casting they want to sell?

I could cast some of these mini vices, but there is no way for me to do 4140 steel.

I can't even do ductile iron, and so it would be in just plain gray iron, perhaps Class 40.

And I would not have lost-wax quality either.

The M-M steel castings are a tough act to follow for sure.

No telling what it would cost to have more of those cast, but I would guess the days of the $150.00 kit prices are long gone.

I can get good surface finish using ceramic mold coat, but a 1" vice is really in the realm of jewelry making, which gets very tedious.

I think if I just had to have one of these, I would buy a chunk of cold-rolled steel, get out the tool and die grinder, and start grinding.

If it were a 2" or 4" vice, I would consider casting one, but the 1" is unique, and thus the high sales price on ebay.

Edit:
What I really want to cast is a Ball Hopper Monitor with 10.5" flywheels.

When I bought mine, late last yr 2022 I was amazed at the quality of casting. Later I connected the company and complimented them and they came back saying that it was quite an endeavor and an expensive process to cast them. Because it was so expensive to cast, the profit margins for them was quite low.

Last edited:
I haven't read the magazine article but have built the vise and I'm also responsible for creating the 3D CAD and 2D drawings. The only special tool that I recall having to make was the bushing to broach the key way.
I did post a build thread located here,
https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/one-more-morrison-marvin-model-builders-vise.16291/
It is a fun little project.
Dave
Hmmmmmmmmmm - - - - in the linked theread a number of pictures seem to no longer be available (pic symbol with an X through it).

Any idea what might be causing such issues?

Hmmmmmmmmmm - - - - in the linked theread a number of pictures seem to no longer be available (pic symbol with an X through it).

Any idea what might be causing such issues?
I think those photos are of the finished vise, aperently I'm not able to edit that post? I will add the photos in a reply later today when I get home from work.

Dave

The original vice that was modeled was a Wilton, and I have a Wilton vice, so I could easily create a 3D model of it, as could anyone who does 3D work.

The bigger question I guess is having the Wilton name on a vice casting that you are selling that is not made by Wilton.

I always go back to the original source with old engines and anything else, and use photos or actual full sized engine measurements to develop my own 3D models, and this avoids any conflict of interest or copyright claims.
My 3D models are always unique to the world, and independently developed.

I have seen the M-M plans for their vice, but I would not need or use those, since I would make my own.

I am in it for the hobby aspect, and I don't sell things, so there is that.

Pat J

Last edited:
Hi, would like to purchase your vise casting kit. Do you still have it? Thanks Dave

$175
Hi, I would be willing to buy your

34Dave
Have you tried sending a private message ? ( Called "start conversation" on this forum )
Not sure if it would help or get to him any differently, but may be worth a try.

Scott

Latest posts

Back