More Stirling Engine Plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I have yet to build a stirling engine, (that worked).
In a search for more ideas I found this site.
Let's Build Model Stirling Engines
5 sets of plans there from the very basic to more complex designs.

Rick

Ooh, that second one is nice. I may attempt that one soon.

I've built the one in Rick's second post. That was about six or seven years ago, and it ran very well after some fiddling around to get rid of drag. I say "ran" because I had it at work with me one day and a co-worker knocked it off the bench, and the concrete floor didn't do it many favors :(

Anyway, after a going over, it runs once again; but not like it did. The flywheel has that annoying wobble in it still (I think the hub has been bent).

I'm not sure if the drawings posted for this engine have all the dimensions on them. IIRC, I had to work some of them out on my own. With a little attention to details, you should wind up with a good runner though.

Kevin

I built the LTD stirling in the second post as my 3rd engine project. Runs great with a top speed of about 110 rpm on boiling water. Made several changes to the plans to make it easier to build. Made the piston out of Delrin. Here are a couple of pics.

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

Does anyone have a link to the second post? - It doesn`t seem to want to let me have access.

damn, how many engines in progress are too many ? I want to build a sterling, but I need to finish a few I have in process.

Back