Moral- On my shop wall for years

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was posted in Engine control room of a ship I worked many years back.
asog.png

Knowledge is knowing what to say; Wisdom is knowing when to say it.

Progress occurs when preparation meets opportunity

It cost me a good dollar when I learned two business rules.
1. The rule of 7 'P's.
Proper previous planning prevents piss poor performance
2. The lack of foresight on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Find they're not bad life rules as well.

My mother bought me a small sign to pin to the wall.
To err is human
but
to foul things up completely requires a computer.

when your through learning , your through

experience is something you don't have until the day after you need it .

animal

When I received my degree I was handed a small bag of marbles. Each time I received a promotion I was to throw one of the marbles away and once I had lost all of my marbles I could be CEO.

The equivalent sayings in academia: When you move from the faculty to administration, in the first year you stop writing; in the second year you stop reading; in the third year you stop thinking. But as soon as you return to the faculty, suddenly you regain all credibility.

Coincidentally, I have been a university administrator for >10 years now ... !

I thimpfk that a smart person lerns from books which is a compendium of other peoples learning from yet other people's mistakes and their own mistakes too
Yes, the books are the sea of knowledge to learn and also to call for an adventure. To draw a path (a plan) for your future experiences.
What I have learnt about wisdom, that it comes from brain-heart interaction.
Brain may contain long term memories by only several neurons. Those memories are coming to your consciousness triggered by smells, sounds etcetera, which bring emotions. something that you have lived before.
And the heart is responsible for emotions. Whatever you have in you values hierarchy will act first.
That's why brain-heart contains personal experiences, and thus ones own wisdom, not the whole knowledge of the books that came through the mind.

Don't Assume or you'll make an ASS out of U and ME.

And If you need a tool and don't buy it you'll pay for it and won't have it.

From my ninth grade science classroom back in 1954, "A wise man knows how little he knows."

From the woodworking teacher on my preparatory yacht & boat building course at college. "Keep it as long as you can for as long as you can"

Back