Moral- On my shop wall for years

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This saying used to be mostly true but bean counters have managed to take the good companies who made outstanding tools for a reasonable price and turn them into expensive tools that have no more quality than the cheaper alternatives.
While I believe this to be true to a large degree, there are quality tools available, but for our purposes and budgets as hobbyists, they are quite dear for our pockets, and so we either settle for something of lesser quality, to be thrown away when used up, or we patiently search the used market and estate sales for usable quality items.

This one has been with me for over 30 years and it's still applicable:

Cheap Tools.jpeg

One that probably fits us all at one time or another comes from Petronius Arbiter in 210 BC:
We tend to meet any new challenge by reorganizing, for it gives a warm feeling while creating the illusion of progress.

While I believe this to be true to a large degree, there are quality tools available, but for our purposes and budgets as hobbyists, they are quite dear for our pockets, and so we either settle for something of lesser quality, to be thrown away when used up, or we patiently search the used market and estate sales for usable quality items.
On the wall of an old friends auto salvage wall:
OUR CREDIT MANAGER IS HELEN WATE. IF YOU WANT CREDIT GO TO HELEN WATE

OUR CREDIT MANAGER IS HELEN WATE. IF YOU WANT CREDIT GO TO HELEN WATE
LOL, my best friend's family had an auto body shop and that was on a plaque in the waiting room.
I think attributed to John Wayne, my favorite saying that i have seen on many walls is; "Life's hard; it's even harder if you're stupid!"

Many humorous and thoughtful quotes. Here is one I have tried
to follow since I saw it many years ago, “Never believe anything you
think ! “.

'Whenever I get the urge to exercise, I lie down until the feeling passes away.' - Mark Twain.
It applies to any plan that has no: 'shut up and calculate!' stage.

Dirty hands Clean money ....

I love that one .

All those so called mechanics on youtube with their sissy gloves should look at that .

In a shop I had years ago there was a sign on the wall;
SHOP RATES
$60 per hour
If you watch, $90 per hour
If you make suggestions, $120 per hour
If you want to help, whatever that shop charges.

I believe this quote by Terry Pratchett is appropriate in this situation.

"
The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet."

“If more than one person is responsible for a mistake, nobody will be at fault”
And,,,,,if you die with the most toys, you’re still dead.

Regrading the parting off problem poster #27, The only one I do not relate to is the hero. Frequently relate to The Coward but working on getting my set-up rigid, rigid and rigider. (Yeah I know Mr spellcheck that ain't a word!) Just part of the joys of cheap mini lathes methinks.

Mine is " A person who never made a mistake never made anything".
So Very True.

I believe this quote by Terry Pratchett is appropriate in this situation.

"
The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet."
Right
"This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness" - Terry Pratchett's wise irony.
The one who doesn't wear shoes, must be the richest man.

Back