Monel Metal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizen004

Reaction score
It has been suggested that I build a small locomotive boiler (3" od) in Monel Metal - It seems to be useful stuff.

Does anyone have any experience or advice

I too have access to model making sizes of such metals, but from what I gather from these wizened old hands is that even though it may be the best material for the job and used in powerplants etc. It is tough and hard to machine and easy to screw up when welded etc etc.

Basically everyone here says don't bother with such metals and I'm inclined to believe them. They have been there and done that and probably don't want to see any green horns like us go through the same frustrating hell.

Kermit

Kermit said:
I too have access to model making sizes of such metals, but from what I gather from these wizened old hands is that even though it may be the best material for the job and used in powerplants etc. It is tough and hard to machine and easy to screw up when welded etc etc.

Basically everyone here says don't bother with such metals and I'm inclined to believe them. They have been there and done that and probably don't want to see any green horns like us go through the same frustrating hell.

Kermit

I dont know about the welding but it is as easy to machine as steel. I made a tool out of a 1 inch rod and it machined well and looks very nice when polished. Maybe there are better more modern ways?

Wrong again. Just do the opposite of ANYTHING I say and you'll be better off

Kermit

Probably easier to build a standard copper boiler and nickel plate it.Will give the same effect finish wise.But I would be interested to find out if how it performs if you do build one from monel.

good luck and best regards Steve C.

One big disadvantage of monel is that the thermal conductivity is only about 6 percent of copper. That would make it hard to get enough heat into the water to use the heat source effectively. It is hard enough to get good heat transfer on small boilers with copper.
Gail in NM,USA

Many thanks for that advice folks. I will take your advice and forget it!

Back