• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Monarch 10EE Lathe & Browne & Sharpe Bridegport Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What should I do? Monarch 10EE Lathe & Browne & Sharpe Surface Grinder

These were dad's machines and sadly dad, a retired Bell Labs/ Western Electric Electrical Engineer is in that big workshop up above. Machines are in the ABE area in PA. Need TLC but they are not seized. Need some electrical work and belts.

Monarch Lathe includes Collets.

Someone offered to take them and restore them but I would like to know what their value is. If this was vintage musical gear my husband would be in the know but we know nothing about machines. Just that dad loved them.

I want dad to be happy about what I do!

What should I do? Try to sell? For how much?

OR find a loving new home?

Monarch Lathe.jpg

Brown & Sharpe Mill.jpg

The lathe is a top-end toolroom model. The other tool is a 'surface grinder', not a milling machine (so nothing to do with a Bridgeport). In the UK, the best price for this sort of stuff is often to be had by selling on Ebay. I don't know if that is the case elswhere. To do well on Ebay you need a thorough description and lots of photos showing all the kit, the general condition, the state of the slide ways, and any damage. A clean-up with rags and kerosene would help, plus some grease on the bare iron and steel bits if its current home is not warm and dry.

Hi Charles,
Thanks for your help. I live far away from the machines so it would take some ingenuity to get cleaning and photos done. What do you think something like this might bring if it were cleaned up? Just trying to get a ballpark. I have to figure out what to do fast.

Back