Modifying a MT3 Tool Holder

Help Support HMEM:

briankenyn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I made the mistake of buying a .375 MT3 milling tool holder with a tang. I use it in my lathe with a Atlas Milling Attachment, and it has jumped out of the taper on two occasions creating quite a mess. I am thinking about anealing the tang with a MAPP torch, cutting it off and drilling and tapping for a drawbar. Will this approach work without destroying the other properties of the taper and holder, or should I pitch it?

Many thanks,
Brian

kcmillin

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Brian, When I purchased my lathe used, the previous owner had an MT3 drill chuck arbor with a tang. This severely limited the movement of the tailstock.

I used a bench grinder and SLOWLY ground off the tang and about 3/4" of the solid shaft. If you keep it cooled you can grind it without any issue. (keep a bucket of water nearby to dunk it every few seconds of grinding) I would quench it whenever it started to get warm, NOT HOT.

I would suggest NOT annealing it, you may never get it back to its former self again.

But If all els fails, a short MT3 arbor is very reasonably priced, and wont dent the pocket book too much.

Kel

Blogwitch

Ex Bogstandard
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Brian,

Just buy yourself a new arbor. Trying to modify the hardened one you have could cost you more grief than the price of a new one.

Bogs

briankenyn

Reaction score
Thanks Kel and Bogs,

Enough said, It's off to the store I go.

Brian