Modified Ridders engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nx06563

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have recently finished an engine loosely based on Jan Ridders opposed twin 4 cycle engine. I say loosely since I used the concept and converted it to decimal inches and modified it to be a 4 piston 2 cylinder on my next version.

I also am not the machinist that Jan Ridders is since I never got his design for a check valve to seal and went to an atmospheric intake valve.
I also "screwed up" the cylinder and misplaced the intake hole on the bottom side. I used gears rather than timing belts for the exhaust shaft just cause I have to be different.

I had a hard time getting it to run. I think because the exhaust shaft wasn't sealing well enough to hold compression. I had to lap a new shaft into the exhaust housing to get it to seal and used castor oil in the methanol to gunk up all the clearances.

As you can tell, cosmetics are not my big thing. Once I get an engine to run it goes on the shelf so I can start a new project.

My next project is a single cylinder loosely based on Jerry Howell's V-twin except my version will have an overhead cam and be driven by a cog timing belt. Hopefully the pictures will appear since this is new to me.

opposed piston engine v112.jpg

OHC Engine Assy v10.jpg

P1040495.jpg

NZO6563--Be proud, man. the world is full of strange little engines that never, ever did run at all. Great effort there, cosmetics or not. We would love to see a video of it running.---Brian

As you can see by my concept drawing of a Howell based OHC single I got the inspiration from seeing one of your designs on the web. Looked like a good concept to simplify an engine as complicated as the Howell V-twin. I built one and it is an exquisite design but the cam gearing pushed my abilities to the limit.

If I get the single running I will try a V Twin using the same OHC concept.

Thanks for the inspiration. As you can see I am a pretty good designer as long as I can steal concepts. Not super original but different. It is kind of fun designing one from scratch rather than just using someone else's prints.

Thanks,
Hogan

Ps I will post a video of the opposed piston engine running as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Yeah , that cosmetic thing. I'm like ok, it runs good, lets build something else. Though I am working on a turners cube right now to give to my boss when I retire cuz he's been good to me over the years. Gonna have to get that one pretty .

Back