Modified Knurling Tool Holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kquiggle

Reaction score
When using a scissors type knurling tool on my 7x10 lathe, a problem I always seem to have is that the tool wants to twist sideways. This happens no matter how much I tighten down the tool post and compound slide. So I decided to make an adapter to hold the tool in the center of the tool post. If you are having a similar problem, you may find this useful.

See here for a more detailed write up:

https://sites.google.com/site/lagad...lathes-mills-etc/tools---knurling-tool-holder

The photo below shows the modified tool in action. It seems to have solved the problem, and as a bonus, setup is much easier.

IMG_20140129_111211.jpg

Here's a picture of the modified tool (right) and the factory supplied tool holder adapter (left):

IMG_20140129_111523.jpg

And finally, here's a picture of the adapter (left) and the dovetail tool holder (right):

IMG_20140129_112450.jpg

Thanks Rob. - It was surprisingly easy to make (especially since I already had a "blank" dovetail tool holder for my QCTP). It occurs to me now that the adapter and tool holder could probably be made all in one piece and would be a bit more compact. I didn't think of that before becasue I already had the dovetail part; also, I don't have a piece of steel on hand large enough for a one-piece version. Always more than one way to skin a cat.

One thing I should have mentioned to anyone who wants to try this: Check ahead of time to make sure you can back off your compound slide enough for the tool to fit.

I've been using the modified tool quite a bit in the last few days and I am really happy with the results I am getting.

Latest posts

Back