Model water pump

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work. When I was a kid, before hydro electric came to our part of Ontario, I remember my dad taking me to a farm where they had a full size hit and miss engine driving a full size pump. I was about 8 years old, and I thought that was one of the neatest things I had ever seen.----Brian

When I grew up on the farm we had a full size hand pump that had been converted to run on an electric motor for filling the cattle tank.
One of our neighbors had a small hand pump mounted next to the kitchen sink for the only water source in the house.
They had a big tub that was filled with hot water heated on the cook stove for taking a bath.
Their out house was the only toilet.

We had running water and an indoor toilet at our house that was installed 2 years before I was born so I didn't have to use the outhouse.

Thanks for the replies
Ray

Sorry I don't make many drawings and none for this water pump.
I usually build with what I have on hand.

The piston is 1" in diameter with a 1" stroke and an o-ring for sealing. It is bored out to about 0.800 all the way through except for the last 1/4" or so. There is a 1/4 x 20 threaded hole in the center of the piston top for the pump rod and is surrounded by four 3/16" holes for the water to escape. The bottom of the piston has a brass check seat with a 1/2" steel ball.
The base also has a 1/2" steel ball that sets in it's seat. The base is cross drilled to just under the base check valve for the inlet pipe.
Here is a picture that shows the details of a hand pump.

Hope that helps
Ray
1200px-Hand_pump-en.svg.png

Back