Model sized nuts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tool I made 20 years ago. It was based on a friends project after he saw one which
I think was in Modeltec magazine Here are some pictures. The unit is a box tool of sorts

View attachment 130179View attachment 130180View attachment 130181
View attachment 130182

By having different bushings, I can do hex stock, Square stock ( for sq bolts ) or round stock
In the picture you can see some threaded sq stock.

In operation, I feed stock into the tool and it reduces diameter to thread Size and length .
Then I withdraw the tool while the Lathe is still running and place the die holder ( and die) on the
front boss and feed the tool back into the stock while holding the knurled die holder.
The stock is quick threaded and I release the Die holder when the thread needed is achieved.
My hand being a clutch . Stop Lathe and reverse and I pull the die holder off.
Now I can use a Parting tool to separate the finished bolt, but I prefer to do it in "sticks"
That is, do both ends of the stock and maybe do 6 sticks that way .
Then set the Lathe for parting off a bolt -one stick at a time ...much faster
The square stock in the picture is a "stick"
Rich
Thanks for the pictures and description, that's a nice tool and would definitely make bolt making a lot easier and with the depth stop, more productive, now the issue would be to find the hex stock of the correct size.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, That when I am using round stock.
I make my 'Sticks" threaded on both ends and do maybe 6 sticks. Then I mount
the stick in a 5 C collet Block ( Hex ) and then use the mill to cut a flat. leave the mill height locked
and do not change it, just drop the block in the vise, (clamp) and feed the table in/out and then rotate and repeat. That way I can do custom head sizes for 12 bolts pretty quickly . then I pass the stick against a Scotchbrite wheel to clean up the flats and remove any tool marks and that puts a micro radius on the Hex corners. Then part in the lathe
Rich

I get most of my fasteners from McMaster Carr but when I need really small nuts or machine screws with hex head i go to Micro Fasteners. Just ordered some 1-72 nuts and needed a 7/64 wrench, McMaster had the wrench and Micro had the nuts and bolts.

Mark

Where can you buy model size nuts that look right on small engines? I am looking for 4-40 &6-32 in particular but could use other sizes if available. Thanks Colin

I see that you are in Canada; me too. I live in Vancouver and we have a local company called Pacific Fasteners in Burnaby. They specialize in stainless steel hardware but I believe they have other metals. I order all of my model sized hardware and larger from them. I do it all by email. They don't have a current catalog but they have never told me that they didn't have what I have requested. I usually order 50 to 100 of just about everything so I'm never short. It's way cheaper than buying ones and twos or those ubiquitous packages of 5 at the retail store. I have several drawers full of #2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 nuts, washers, set screws, socket head and button head cap screws. I do everything by email and they just give it to Canada Post and saves me a trip across the city. Contact Keith : [email protected] . I just email my list in point form and be as explicit as you can and he'll get back to you within a day or so.

If you don't want to make them yourself then second vote for American Model Engineering.

Have tried Mcmaster and MIcro and they are not to a scale that looks good.
American are scaled and look good.

Back