Model sized nuts

Help Support HMEM:

L98fiero

Reaction score
Tool I made 20 years ago. It was based on a friends project after he saw one which
I think was in Modeltec magazine Here are some pictures. The unit is a box tool of sorts

View attachment 130179View attachment 130180View attachment 130181
View attachment 130182

By having different bushings, I can do hex stock, Square stock ( for sq bolts ) or round stock
In the picture you can see some threaded sq stock.

In operation, I feed stock into the tool and it reduces diameter to thread Size and length .
Then I withdraw the tool while the Lathe is still running and place the die holder ( and die) on the
front boss and feed the tool back into the stock while holding the knurled die holder.
The stock is quick threaded and I release the Die holder when the thread needed is achieved.
My hand being a clutch . Stop Lathe and reverse and I pull the die holder off.
Now I can use a Parting tool to separate the finished bolt, but I prefer to do it in "sticks"
That is, do both ends of the stock and maybe do 6 sticks that way .
Then set the Lathe for parting off a bolt -one stick at a time ...much faster
The square stock in the picture is a "stick"
Rich
Thanks for the pictures and description, that's a nice tool and would definitely make bolt making a lot easier and with the depth stop, more productive, now the issue would be to find the hex stock of the correct size.

Richard Carlstedt

Reaction score
I forgot to mention in my earlier post, That when I am using round stock.
I make my 'Sticks" threaded on both ends and do maybe 6 sticks. Then I mount
the stick in a 5 C collet Block ( Hex ) and then use the mill to cut a flat. leave the mill height locked
and do not change it, just drop the block in the vise, (clamp) and feed the table in/out and then rotate and repeat. That way I can do custom head sizes for 12 bolts pretty quickly . then I pass the stick against a Scotchbrite wheel to clean up the flats and remove any tool marks and that puts a micro radius on the Hex corners. Then part in the lathe
Rich

dnalot

Project of the Month Winner !!!
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
I get most of my fasteners from McMaster Carr but when I need really small nuts or machine screws with hex head i go to Micro Fasteners. Just ordered some 1-72 nuts and needed a 7/64 wrench, McMaster had the wrench and Micro had the nuts and bolts.

Mark

David Morrow

Reaction score
Where can you buy model size nuts that look right on small engines? I am looking for 4-40 &6-32 in particular but could use other sizes if available. Thanks Colin
I see that you are in Canada; me too. I live in Vancouver and we have a local company called Pacific Fasteners in Burnaby. They specialize in stainless steel hardware but I believe they have other metals. I order all of my model sized hardware and larger from them. I do it all by email. They don't have a current catalog but they have never told me that they didn't have what I have requested. I usually order 50 to 100 of just about everything so I'm never short. It's way cheaper than buying ones and twos or those ubiquitous packages of 5 at the retail store. I have several drawers full of #2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 nuts, washers, set screws, socket head and button head cap screws. I do everything by email and they just give it to Canada Post and saves me a trip across the city. Contact Keith : [email protected] . I just email my list in point form and be as explicit as you can and he'll get back to you within a day or so.

portlandron

Reaction score
If you don't want to make them yourself then second vote for American Model Engineering.

Have tried Mcmaster and MIcro and they are not to a scale that looks good.
American are scaled and look good.

Latest posts