Model of a Bessemer Hot Tube Oil Field Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for some time now and have done a few preliminary drawings. So, I think my next engine project will be a somewhat stylized model of a Bessemer 2 stroke oil field engine. I want to get it as close to the real deal as I can without using any castings.

At this point I'm planning on a 1.25" x 1.75" bore and stroke. The flywheel(s) will be a little under 9" diameter and the cylinder will be made from a piece of DOM tubing, 4" long x 2" diameter. It will be water cooled and I want to try to make it fired with a hot tube.

If I can make this work, it will be a pretty simple engine to build. There won't be any gears, no valves, and no ignition, although I may have to fall back on an ignition system if I can't get the hot tube to work. It should also be an easier hot tube engine to make since it won't require an injector or injector pump. I plan to use a vapor fuel tank so I won't need a carburetor.

Here is a video of the engine that is my inspiration:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QbtZNOKX0&feature=autoplay&list=ULiY3F-KIcuws&playnext=1[/ame]

This model was designed by John Burns and the castings are supposedly still sold by Robert Horner although I was never able to reach the latter. I did reach John Burns and he gave me a little bit of information about his design, but he no longer has any financial interest in the plans or castings. At any rate, I believe the Burns model is larger than I want to build and the castings are probably priced at a great deal more than I would want to spend. Besides, designing them is half the fun!

I hope to start making chips in the next few days although a 10 day vacation scheduled for the end of the month will probably delay much progress on the engine.

Chuck

Chuck,

The construction of that model was published in Modeltec Magazine in about 1980 to 1982. I'm not sure what the number of the issues were but if you can locate them it would probably be a big help. Modeltec is no longer in publication but I am sure there are many people out there with the copies you need.

I have an original 22 1/2 hp Bessemer that I could send you pics of any part of the engine that might help you.

I will be following this project closely as I have wanted to build one like this for a long time.

Lonnie

Chuck--I've never heard of this engine, but knowing your track record I'm sure that what you create will certainly be interesting. Good luck, I'll be following.---Brian

Chuck,

The construction of that model was published in Modeltec Magazine in about 1980 to 1982. I'm not sure what the number of the issues were but if you can locate them it would probably be a big help. Modeltec is no longer in publication but I am sure there are many people out there with the copies you need.

I have an original 22 1/2 hp Bessemer that I could send you pics of any part of the engine that might help you.

I will be following this project closely as I have wanted to build one like this for a long time.

Lonnie

Thanks Lonnie. Following your lead, I did some research and found a PDF index of Modeltec on Google:

http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/magazine/MODELTEC INDEX.pdf

Couldn't find anything on the Bessemer but there are a series of references to an Oil Field Pumping Engine starting in 1994 and running into 1995. Do you know anything about that series of articles?

Chuck

Chuck, I believe the ModelTec article covered a Reid engine. This is the engine with the power cylinder and a smaller cylinder in tandem that pumped air into the power cylinder.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

If I recall the hot tube is an externally heated "pipe" that runs into the combustion chamber and helps to initiate what is basically compression ignition. Very much like the glo plug on a model airplane engine. I would be concerned that the thermodynamics of such a device might not scale too well. Don't know for sure, just a hunch. If that's the case, I'd make provision for some kind of more conventional ignition or, at least, don't design into a corner that makes it very hard to do.

Hello Chuck, that will make a nice looking model. The hot tube is not a problem on a model, they work just as well as the full size engine once you get the correct size hole down the tube. For others that may not know you move the burner either closer or further away from the cylinder to move the `hot spot` to alter your ignition timing. The model I am currently on with is gas fuelled and hot tube ignition. In the past I have converted all manner of small power engines to run on hot tube ignition, villiers, briggs and lister d`s to name a few.
The Reid engine runs on the Clerk cycle, an early type of two stroke that had two cylinders, one for charging and one for combustion, these models also run well on hot tube ignition.

Cheers,
MartinH

Last edited:
Chuck,

The series on building the Oil Field Pumping Engine is I believe the correct one that detailed the building of John Burns Model Bessemer. I think I have the issue with the final article in the series if I can find it. I think he did not refer to it as a Bessemer because he did not have the rights to that name which belong to Cooper-Bessemer. He does own the rights to the Reid name.

I don't remember there being a build article in Modeltec for the Reid Model but I never saw all the Magazines so it is possible. That was a very good magazine. It was a shame they went bankrupt.

If I can be any help with pics or measurements from my 22 1/2 hp Bessemer don't hesitate to contact me on here or with a PM.

Lonnie

Hello Chuck, that will make a nice looking model. The hot tube is not a problem on a model, they work just as well as the full size engine once you get the correct size hole down the tube. For others that may not know you move the burner either closer or further away from the cylinder to move the `hot spot` to alter your ignition timing. The model I am currently on with is gas fuelled and hot tube ignition. In the past I have converted all manner of small power engines to run on hot tube ignition, villiers, briggs and lister d`s to name a few.
The Reid engine runs on the Clerk cycle, an early type of two stroke that had two cylinders, one for charging and one for combustion, these models also run well on hot tube ignition.

Cheers,
MartinH

Thanks, Martin, I'd sure be interested in seeing any pictures or drawings you might have of one of your hot tubes. If I understand them correctly, the tube doesn't actually extend into the cylinder... rather they extend outward from the cylinder and the fuel mixture is forced out into the tube until it reaches the hot spot whereupon it ignites.

The series on building the Oil Field Pumping Engine is I believe the correct one that detailed the building of John Burns Model Bessemer. I think I have the issue with the final article in the series if I can find it. I think he did not refer to it as a Bessemer because he did not have the rights to that name which belong to Cooper-Bessemer. He does own the rights to the Reid name.

I don't remember there being a build article in Modeltec for the Reid Model but I never saw all the Magazines so it is possible. That was a very good magazine. It was a shame they went bankrupt.

If I can be any help with pics or measurements from my 22 1/2 hp Bessemer don't hesitate to contact me on here or with a PM.

Lonnie

Thanks for the offer Lonnie. I will take you up on that if need be. I know the pistons on these engines needs to be at least as long as the stroke. I'm assuming they must be hollow rather than solid. Are they sealed on both ends?

Chuck

Chuck,

I do not think the piston would need to be hollow on a model. Jan Ridder's Simple 2 Stroke operates on the same principle as the Bessemer and it has a solid piston. He does however have an expansion chamber outside the cylinder so perhaps that could be the benefit of a hollow piston. I always assumed it was to reduce the mass of the piston to help balance the engine.

Lonnie

Chuck,

I did a couple quick measurements this morning on my 22 1/2 HP Bessemer. I already had it partially disassembled so it was pretty easy to get these measurements.

Bore 10"
Stroke 15"
Piston 10" x 16"
Cylinder is just over 31" deep 12" from the head end of the cylinder to the ports. The piston goes 1/8" past the ports on the return stroke.
Flywheels 4" Wide x 68" Diameter

As you can probably see from these measurements the piston almost touches the back of the cylinder on the return stroke and the deflectors on the front of the piston goes a little ways into the head on the compression stroke.

Hopes this helps you in designing your model.

Lonnie

Would you be able to upload some plans down the track? This sounds like a good project to make on my 9" Hercus.

Chuck,

I did a couple quick measurements this morning on my 22 1/2 HP Bessemer. I already had it partially disassembled so it was pretty easy to get these measurements.

Bore 10"
Stroke 15"
Piston 10" x 16"
Cylinder is just over 31" deep 12" from the head end of the cylinder to the ports. The piston goes 1/8" past the ports on the return stroke.
Flywheels 4" Wide x 68" Diameter

As you can probably see from these measurements the piston almost touches the back of the cylinder on the return stroke and the deflectors on the front of the piston goes a little ways into the head on the compression stroke.

Hopes this helps you in designing your model.

Lonnie

Thanks, Lonnie, it looks like I've got my dimension ratios about right.

Chuck

Would you be able to upload some plans down the track? This sounds like a good project to make on my 9" Hercus.

Yes, this should be a pretty simple engine, so I will make some drawings available.

Chuck

Chuck, you have my utmost attention. My great uncle had a lease with a besssemer he pumped until he was in late eighties. I was stunned one year I went to visit and he had drug the bessemer out and replaced it with a chrysler 318, told me it easier to start..:eek: He pumped with the 318 and coon hunted well into his ninteys. I would love to have a model of a Bessemer.
Lance

OK, I guess this is officially a work in progess at this point. I broke ground on the piece that will become the front or cylinder end of the frame. I started out with a chunk of 2" x 3" x 3/8" angle iron 2 3/4" wide. The engine frame could just as easily be made out of cold rolled flat steel, but I want the finished engine to look at least a little bit like it was made from castings.

e9ef4c21.jpg

After squaring the sides and machinging the piece to length, I cut off the excess on the 2" leg of the angle iron.

b6cde041.jpg

See, it's starting to look like a casting already, huh? The two ends of the piece will line up with the sides of the frame, so the edges need to match the profile of the frame sides at the bottom. The first step is to use a 3/8" end mill and plunge cut the radius near the base, making multiple plunges taking about .020" each time.

95b0b05b.jpg

7d01f1a3.jpg

Next I used my metal cutting bandsaw to cut off the excess above the plunge cuts, then mounted the piece in my milling vice and used an end mill to bring the edges down to the final size. This is what it looks like after I finished milling it to width.

a5c0b322.jpg

Now to get the top part cut to the proper shape. First I cut the corners off with my bandsaw

b6f7546d.jpg

Then finished off the radius shaping using my rotary table and an end mill. This took some time since I could only cut about .020" each pass.

472112ce.jpg

29b04000.jpg

Next will be the frame sides...

Chuck

Chuck,

That is a great start you have there. I can't wait to see a video of it running.
What size do you plan on making the Flywheels?

Lonnie

Chuck,

That is a great start you have there. I can't wait to see a video of it running.
What size do you plan on making the Flywheels?

Lonnie

Thanks, Lonnie. The flywheels I have are a little under 9" diameter and weigh about 5 lbs each after machining. I have 2 of them, but will only use 1 if the engine runs like I want with just 1.

Chuck

Chuck,

I think it will probably run fine with one flywheel. There were a lot of engines around this part of the country that were steam engines originally. They would drill the well with the steam engine then fit it with a gas cylinder later. They are commonly referred to as half-breeds. Most of them had one flywheel but many had an extra ring attached to the flywheel to make it heavier.

Lonnie

Back