Model Globe Valve Making

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tugwilson

Reaction score
Can anyone suply drawings or offer any advice to the making of globe valves & other boiler fittings suitable for 1/8"& 3/16" copper pipe. I am building a 2" scale steam tractor and so far made everthing myself &have now reached the stage in putt on all the pipe work and boiler fittings.Any suggestions would be most helpfull.
With thanks in anticipation. Tug Wilson

Thanks for the pics. You make it look quit simple & you achieve a good result. I will have to have ago along these lines and see what happens

Thanks for the pictures of your valves etc. What an achievement!! I could not hope to match the superb quality of your work. Did you have any drawings for these valves to work too or didyou just make them as you went along so to speak?
Any way carry on with the good work I would love to see the finished engine.
Tug Wilson

For what it is worth PM research has kits to build the valves and other pipe fittings, elbows, tee etc. along with the taps and dies for the threads and scale brass pipe. They have machined ones and casting tree ones that you finish. Model pipe info and product listing
Model Pipe & Fittings

Some thread designations are as follows:

MTP Model Taper Pipe
ME Model Engineering (British Straight Thread)
UNS American National Standard Unified Special (Straight Thread)
UST Universal Straight and Taper (P.M. Research Inc. Tapered Thread)
NPT American National Standard Tapered Pipe Thread
METP Model Engineer Taper Pipe (British Equivelent of MTP)

Tube Unions - Male Thread
21 products
*NEW* MTP (MODEL TAPERED PIPE) NIPPLES
18 products
*NEW* MTP (MODEL TAPERED PIPE) THREAD FITTINGS
19 products
Check Valves
13 products
Globe Valves
17 products
Loctite Thread Sealant
1 products
Machined Brass Pipe Adapter Nipples
3 products
Machined Brass Pipe Fitting Kits
4 products
Machined Brass Pipe Nipple Kits
2 products
Tree Of Model Pipe Castings
19 products
Machined Brass Pipe Nipples
24 products
Machined Model Pipe Fittings
26 products
Model Pipe
6 products
Reducing Bushings
6 products
Special Boiler Bushings
6 products
Are some from their on line catalog
;D

I'd stick with nuts and nipples on the traction engine with bent pipe, the cast fittings are not right on an engine of this type, ideal for Hit & miss engines though.

Jason

Jasonb said:
I'd stick with nuts and nipples with bent pipe.

Me too ::)

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Best Regards
Bob

Way too easy Bob...... 8)...you mustn't swing at the easy ones.......you can do better. ;D

Jasonb said:
I'd stick with nuts and nipples on the traction engine with bent pipe, the cast fittings are not right on an engine of this type
That would depend entirely upon the country of origin, and unless I missed it I don't see an indication of wghere Tug is or what engine he's building. If the engine is British, such as an Allchin, Ransomes, Burrell, or Fowler, then nuts and nipples would be prototypical and appropriate, but if it's of American manufacture such as a Case or Keck then cast fittings are correct.

It is a Ruston Proctor SD Light, Haining's 2" design, I have exchanged several PMs with Tug so was basing my comment on that and hopefully he's now got some valve drawings to work to.

J

Many thanks for all replies especialy to Jason for emailing drawings.I must have ago at making some !!!
Tug

Latest posts

Back