Model Engine Builder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
Friends,

I've just subscribed to the above magazine, admittedly thinking it was an actual magazine and then decided to give it a go once I found it was an online only publication.

I'm sure that many of you subscribe and I'm not intending to create an unsolicited plug of a product.

The content in the first issue I have received is very good and as it is aimed solely at engine enthusiasts very relevant to my interests.

I have previously picked up copies of general Model Engineering titles here in the UK and found that about 10 percent interested me, as I'm not really interested in scale models of railway engines or traction engines. I've often found the editorial stance to be a bit off putting too, as though one has to be a member of their special club to fit in, particularly on the associated forums where I'm afraid to say I have had...clashes.

I'm looking forward to my next issue of MEB now and also browsing the back issues list to see if anything piques my interest.

Cheers,
Rockets.

The only gripe i have with it is now it has gone digital there seem to be an inordinate amount of time between publications . Its not a monthly or even quarterly publication , i think they wait until they have amassed enough material to put an issue together . Content is always good though !

XD351,

Perhaps that's it. I've only just subscribed so I haven't experienced that yet. I like that it isn't overwhelmed by ads too.

Cheers
Rockets

Even when it was a paper mag things were very irregular

I believe that he has been having some health issues. That is why it is so irregular. If his health issues continue perhaps he can have someone else take over.

I like the digital but I really would like to also have the printed version. I like to look at the magazine in the evening while I am relaxing in my chair. Then printing out a particular article from the digital issue is nice.

Is there any way of finding out what content the magazine has? Would I be correct in saying it’s mrehmus who supplies certain content?

Thanks for that Gordon. I’m generally interested because mrehmus said he wanted some pictures of my engine for readers engines section and I can only assume he meant the magazine, it would be nice to have a copy of it if that’s the case. I’ll certainly have a flick through some of them for helpful articles though.

Guys, the delay between issues has been for two reasons. #1 has been health related. From a heart valve replacement to a massive blood infection, I've experienced a number of medical issues. I am somewhat healthy now but I have been severely limited in travel and could not get to the model engineering shows as I used to do to pick up more content. Unfortunately, a lot of our previous contributors have grown old and many have opted out of the hobby. So content is difficult to come by and I've had to build engines to obtain enough content to make up a story. And, I don't like to publish an engine without having proofed the drawings (if I can). So, for example, the GEM1, the current build article has had to be built in and around the medical issues. And so it goes.
I do think the interval between issues will come down this year, everything being OK.
Contributions . . . tips, build articles, how-to on shop tools, etc. would be appreciated. If my main contributor, Dwight Giles were to become disabled, I think I'd have to pack it in as he contributes a lot of information for each issue and at 87, he's getting a bit slower. The only other local contributors are the Bay Area Engine Modelers and now the Golden Gate Live Steamers since BAEM now meets in the GGLS clubhouse every other month. Content has become a lot more difficult to obtain as you can tell from other magazines that are more than 50% advertising and string their build projects waaaay out.
I do appreciate everyone's patience and contributions.
Thanks,
Mike Rehmus
Editor

I think it was around 2004 or so when I went with a friend to a Model Engineering show in Visalia, California. They had a booth and looking for subscribers. I signed up for the first issue and have pretty much all of the print copies along with the blueprints that came with each issue. I've even made a few items from the blueprints, especially the device for honing the OUTSIDE of a round piece. I enclosed a picture of the external hone. And it's really adjustable.
External Hone.JPG
If I wouldn't get into any trouble, I might be able to scan some of the blueprints if anyone could use them. If it gets into a hornet's nest, then I will stop.

Dave

I think it was around 2004 or so when I went with a friend to a Model Engineering show in Visalia, California. They had a booth and looking for subscribers. I signed up for the first issue and have pretty much all of the print copies along with the blueprints that came with each issue. I've even made a few items from the blueprints, especially the device for honing the OUTSIDE of a round piece. I enclosed a picture of the external hone. View attachment 103329 If I wouldn't get into any trouble, I might be able to scan some of the blueprints if anyone could use them. If it gets into a hornet's nest, then I will stop.

Dave
Supplying drawings from the magazine is a violation of my copyright, something I won't appreciate. A digital copy of the magazine is only $6 and usually delivered within 24 hours or less.

Totally Biased opinion on my post here.
I personally know Mike Remus , but I read, and re-read
many articles on Model Engine Builder Magazine.
I have an almost complete collection of every issue.
The Hoglett series, only 2 issues, put me on this engine building road that I enjoy so much.
I made The Hoglett , Plus 2 GEMS, and find
that every issue requires multiple re reading. Lots of valuable info!
I have a V8 crank in process. See issue #30. Just an example.
Yes Mike is the force behind the magazine, and he had a health issue, I am only hoping he keeps it up for many more issues. In the mean time , re read/purchase the available issues , I feel you will learn something.
Again just my totally biased opinion.

Paul D. BAEM.

editor 123. This is just what I was talking about in my post. I see the hornet's nest on the horizon and therefore I will NEVER scan or post anything from MEB unless I have expressed permission to do so. My apologies for overstepping my bounds.

David

Wow, red face here, Paul.
BTW, we do allow schools to copy drawings and articles for use in metalworking classes. Usually high schools and colleges. So if you know any that need a project, we can help.
Mike

Mike,

As a new subscriber and originator of this post, I hope you are able to continue as there isn't (to my knowledge) another dedicated publication for us engine nutters.

Cheers,
Rockets (Dean)

It is my intention to continue as long as I am able. At 75, I am slowing down just a tiny bit.

I must log into the website and check my subs , i think it is still current for a couple of more issues .
I am a little surprised that Mike is not getting more articles submitted than he is now considering that there are many people on this forum building some amazing engines !

Latest posts

Back