Mitutoyo dial calipers model 505-637 bezel removal help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYGuy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the group. I've been looking into the question I'm about to ask below on this forum and at other places on the web but can't quite find how to do what I'd like.

I'm the new owner of old Mitutoyo dial calipers (model 505-637). I picked these up for less than $4 a couple of days ago. As you can see in the pix I've taken them apart and cleaned them (with rubbing alcohol and toothbrush) but I can't quite figure out how to remove the dial and the bezel. The calipers came to me with the needle off and floating around inside the crystal. I'd like to of course fix this as well.

If it's a certain amount of force that I need to remove the dial, where and how would I go about this?

It didn't come with the screw that locks the dial in place. Is this necessary?

Also, does anyone have any idea how old this pair is? When did the company go from a cursive logo to a san serif logo?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Rick

Attachments

• tool__caliper__Mitutoyo_dial_calipers-008.jpg
    tool__caliper__Mitutoyo_dial_calipers-008.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 285
  • tool__caliper__Mitutoyo_dial_calipers-004.jpg
    tool__caliper__Mitutoyo_dial_calipers-004.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 297
  • tool__caliper__Mitutoyo_dial_calipers-006.jpg
    tool__caliper__Mitutoyo_dial_calipers-006.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 295
You can usually use duct tape to pop the crystal out. Possibly screws underneath the dial that hold the bezel on.

Hello all,

I'm new to the group. I've been looking into the question I'm about to ask below on this forum and at other places on the web but can't quite find how to do what I'd like.

I'm the new owner of old Mitutoyo dial calipers (model 505-637). I picked these up for less than $4 a couple of days ago. As you can see in the pix I've taken them apart and cleaned them (with rubbing alcohol and toothbrush) but I can't quite figure out how to remove the dial and the bezel. The calipers came to me with the needle off and floating around inside the crystal. I'd like to of course fix this as well.

If it's a certain amount of force that I need to remove the dial, where and how would I go about this?

It didn't come with the screw that locks the dial in place. Is this necessary?

Also, does anyone have any idea how old this pair is? When did the company go from a cursive logo to a san serif logo?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Rick

Usually the crystal is sprung into a "V" shaped groove in the bezel. They can be removed quite easily, but are a bugger to get back in.

No need to take the crystal out by itself. The crystal is a tight fit in the bezel. It fits into a notch. Using a flat blade screwdriver with a nice sharp tip. Place it under the edge of the bezel and using the caliper body itself as the levering point twist the screwdriver. This will lift the bezel from the ring underneath. Sometimes you can get it with one leverage and sometimes you have to turn the bezel to another point then pry again. It will pop off. Don't do this until the caliper is reassembled. Clean the measuring faces and close the caliper. Now align the needle with -0- and using a piece of plastic (small screwdriver handle) lightly press the needle onto the spindle. Now align the bezel with the ring and using a pair of pliers (needle nosed) with a sharp tip clamp on the face of the bezel and the ring underneath and gently squeeze. Just a little. Now rotate the bezel to another spot and squeeze again. Work your way around until resistance is felt, then stop squeezing. Everything should be good to go.
Some bezels on dial indicators, not calipers but large dial indicators will have a snap ring inside the bezel. The bezel will have 2-3 little notches in it. When replacing the bezel the snap ring needs to be pushed in until the bezel goes over it then go around the the other part of the ring that's protruding and push it in while holding downward pressure on the bezel. The bezel will pop in place.

I was able to get the bezel off, clean the dial and put the needle back on. All is well so thanks for your replies. Now to see if there's a replacement screw to keep the bezel from moving.

No need to take the crystal out by itself. The crystal is a tight fit in the bezel. It fits into a notch. Using a flat blade screwdriver with a nice sharp tip. Place it under the edge of the bezel and using the caliper body itself as the levering point twist the screwdriver. This will lift the bezel from the ring underneath. Sometimes you can get it with one leverage and sometimes you have to turn the bezel to another point then pry again. It will pop off. Don't do this until the caliper is reassembled. Clean the measuring faces and close the caliper. Now align the needle with -0- and using a piece of plastic (small screwdriver handle) lightly press the needle onto the spindle. Now align the bezel with the ring and using a pair of pliers (needle nosed) with a sharp tip clamp on the face of the bezel and the ring underneath and gently squeeze. Just a little. Now rotate the bezel to another spot and squeeze again. Work your way around until resistance is felt, then stop squeezing. Everything should be good to go.
Some bezels on dial indicators, not calipers but large dial indicators will have a snap ring inside the bezel. The bezel will have 2-3 little notches in it. When replacing the bezel the snap ring needs to be pushed in until the bezel goes over it then go around the the other part of the ring that's protruding and push it in while holding downward pressure on the bezel. The bezel will pop in place.
Thanks gbritnell very much for your detailed reply! The caliper works pretty much as it should now. I need to find a replacement bridge slider stop for it, or try to make one. And I have to find a replacement set screw to keep the bezel from turning. Do you have any idea how small that little screw is?

I have a Mitutoyo caliper #505-637. I measured both screws, the bezel locking screw and the slide screw. The slide screw is 2.5 mm but the bezel locking screw is only 1.2mm. The bezel locking screw is a long thin screw that goes through a plastic block that locks the bezel. It has a straight knurl on the upper part. The slide screw has a conventional diamond knurl on the upper part. I would say go to the Mitutoyo website or just do a search for parts. Nowadays when you search there's no telling what you can find.
gbritnell

I have a Mitutoyo caliper #505-637. I measured both screws, the bezel locking screw and the slide screw. The slide screw is 2.5 mm but the bezel locking screw is only 1.2mm. The bezel locking screw is a long thin screw that goes through a plastic block that locks the bezel. It has a straight knurl on the upper part. The slide screw has a conventional diamond knurl on the upper part. I would say go to the Mitutoyo website or just do a search for parts. Nowadays when you search there's no telling what you can find.
gbritnell
Thanks for your help here!

Latest posts

Back