Mirror finish

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shred

Reaction score
This is a double-tip swiped from the Bogster--

Round profile tools leave a really nice finish, especially when facing.

and

Left-hand tools can be set on the other side of the toolpost for working close to the headstock.

Plus...

Who wants left-handed profile tools? While uncommon, secondhand ones can be had cheeeep on eBay.

Mirror.jpg

1.75" 6061 Al. 9mm RCMT insert

That's a great idea. Super finish. Rotate bit when dull. Sweet.

For me FeeBay has been a terrific source of very good used tooling for super cheap.

Shred that looks like a really fine finish. What type of metal are you turning there?

Awh crap...disregard I finished reading the post...duh.

deere_x475guy said:
Shred that looks like a really fine finish. What type of metal are you turning there?

Awh crap...disregard I finished reading the post...duh.
Yeah, I hid it by the photo.. first try it was microscopic print.. (note to self; 1-point-font is not readable ->this is size 1)

The reflection is even better in person. The camera blurred it a little.

The only downside to eBay tooling is a lot of the surplus lathe tooling is sized for big machines. This one only fits in a single one of my BXA holders-- I almost ground it down before I found the magic holder.

Yea I notice that on ebay also. I am using the AXA size on my 13 x 40 because I had it left over from my 9 x 20. I think the BXA would be a better fit. I am thinking about selling the AXA on ebay and going to the BXA. I really like the finish that tool is giving you.

jabezkin said:
Is it flat if you flat lap it?
I hadn't tried lapping one. These were medallions for trophies and the shiny concentric-circles look was perfect as-is (after engraving). Next time I'll try sanding one on a surface plate to see how it goes.

I didn't know the end use and with that much tool interface the load can give a nice finish, but not a flat surface.

I often type without thinking. I wasn't bashing in any way, just discussing.

Not knowing the machine and wear on it, I just wondered. flat is easier with a #1 or#0 radius, then flat lap as the use requires.

Just my $.02 :)

Latest posts

Back