minnie boiler build.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John,
Smaller Unibits go down to 1/8" / 3.5mm but I tend to use them for any hole which will receive a bushing, say 3/8" / 9.5mm or larger.
Below that size, and particularly below 1/4" / 6.5mm, I use conventional twist drill bits. The other thing about the Unibit is they produce
a relatively clean and parallel hole into which a closely fitted bushing can be pressed and will then be square to the tube or plate, provided
the hole was drilled square. My preference is to drill bushing holes first and turn the bushing to a thumb-press fit to its hole. The purpose
is to make the bushings "self-Jigging", meaning they hold themselves in place during soldering. Nothing is so bothersome as having a
bushing drop out of its hole during soldering. I also nick such bushing holes with a file to provide channels for the solder, to be sure it
will flow through to the inside.
Usual disclaimer - I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in "Unibits" or other similar products except as a satisfied user.

Last edited:
Back