Miniature Wood Planes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingtractors1

Reaction score
This isn't about engines, but it is about a craftsmanship diversion I recently took. I built one, and that lead to others - not sure I'm done with this yet, :confused: but engines keep creeping back to my mind.

Ralph

[ame]http://youtu.be/XujBf40POcY[/ame]

Beautiful! I have a love for old tools, and planes are just so easy to collect, but these are magnificent! My daughters now planning a workshop extension for her dolls house after seeing these.

cheers, Ian

Beautiful workmanship.

That is superb engineering in that scale, and a really nice diversity of a non engine project.
It's nice to see craftsmanship of all model engineering projects, be it engines or nonengines.
Craftsmanship superb, in your video.

Thanks gents, We are just keeping busy and still having fun. It is interesting how one skill or discipline can promote and blend with another. Ralph

Thanks gents, We are just keeping busy and still having fun. It is interesting how one skill or discipline can promote and blend with another. Ralph

Hi Ralph, nice planes....

You are so right about how one skill can promote another. Since I dont yet have a metal shop set up I am planning an archtop bass ukulele build. One indispensable tool used for shaping the top and bottom plates of arched top instruments are arched sole "finger" planes.

I made a couple with wood bodies but traditionally they are brass.

Thanks again. I built these planes to suppport my other interests and have found them so very handy and useful in my other hobbies - building model airplanes, miniature furniture, small wooden boxes & treaure chests, etc. Just had to have proper tools for those endeavors. These planes really do the job. Ralph

Nice work. I saw a site somewhere where a guy was making full size metal wood planes dovetailing the base to the sides, amazing craftsmanship if you can find it.

I've added a couple new models to the collection. Ralph

2miniplanes5013_zps70ebafde.jpg

If it wasn't for that penny , I would have surely thought they were real sized planes, you get from woodcraft.

That shows excellent craftsmanship at that level of scale.

flyingtractors1, Great job and thank you very much for posting. larry

Thanks guys, I was trying to showcase the huge penny. The planes are just for size reference :D . Now I'm working on a nickel ;) . I'll post it soon just for kicks. Ralph

Here we go. That's some nickel, eh? Not to mention the trap - we grow BIG rats down here. Ralph :D

th_keyholesaw004_zps71812e43.jpg

That is a damn fine bit of work, and the most clever display I think I have ever seen! Great job.

Latest posts

Back