Miniature Tool Collection

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gold #4 is finished. Ralph

CastingProcess114010_zps8e12c4cc.jpg

CastingProcess114005_zpsa4f76fbe.jpg

Working on a dove tail infill plane. Trying to figure out how the joints mesh - experimenting some with popsicle sticks, etc. Ralph

DovetailPlaneparts001_zpse32d7002.jpg

DovetailPlane003_zpsbecb52d7.jpg

Last edited:
This dovetailing is very tricky for me. Things keep inverting on me, and, though I measured twice and cut once, I cut it exactly wrong. I'll keep trying. Ralph

DoveTailerror002_zpsd9397a00.jpg

started a new model. Usually I build a cory / simulation of a full scale I've seen (in person or in pictures). This time I am building an "original" based on some familiar parts and pieces.

Carefully cut of flat brass stock

ShoePlaneBuild001_zpsbaeda3dd.jpg

Arranged in proximity

ShoePlaneBuild002_zps6d5b227b.jpg

Pinned and silver soldered to form a unibody

ShoePlaneBuild004_zps45417f40.jpg

ShoePlaneBuild007_zps57753c57.jpg

Last edited:
I just had to take a break from working on the dovetail planes to renew enthusiasm. And now I've got it. Done. Ralph

3DoveTailfin004_zpsb2fa3f04.jpg

3DoveTailfin2002_zps870e3837.jpg

3DoveTailfin3006_zps2f65dfaf.jpg

3DoveTailfin3015_zpseeb28a8c.jpg

When the plane is highly polished the metals seem to blend, and the joints are not as apparent. Seems that a satin finish is best. Ralph

Thought some might be interested in parts of my miniature tool collection. See action video on YouTube. Ralph

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARI533ZplhM&feature=share&list=UU-GXI1Wp8qMJcEsSWF5Eu5A[/ame]

minaturetoolsphoto_zps8cea701e.jpg

Miniature table vise by Art Rafael.

Visefin4011_zpsa4ddabf0.jpg

Visefin4010_zps4c59e358.jpg

Visefin4003_zps4d0317b7.jpg

Visefin012_zps4855b953.jpg

See action video on YouTube:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CTModW5hdg&feature=share&list=UU-GXI1Wp8qMJcEsSWF5Eu5A[/ame]

Ralph, thanks for making that video. I have tried to do some investment casting, but have failed in the metal pouring part. Your video mentions a centrifugal casting machine. I have seen these in jewelery size but not big enough for the part you showed. Can you post a photo of the casing machine?

thanks

I woodwork with hand tools mostly. I love a good handplane. Those plane and the rest of your tools are little pieces of art.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Hi Ron. I'm sure the centrifugal casting machines you have probably seen is like the one I use.

ViseBlacksmith2006_zps9381296a.jpg

plastermoldincenterfuge_zpsfdd35f8e.jpg

CastingProcess2002_zpsb4b4cbdd.jpg

But I have replaced the usual small (jewelry size) crucible with a larger one (note the smaller one on the casting tub floor) and have extended the arm by 1 inch to accommodate somewhat larger molds. And yet, I am pushing it to do a 3.0 oz cast. Ralph

Last edited:
Thanks, Barnesrickw. It is my love of woodworking with primarily hand tools that has drawn me to build miniature replicas which I often carry in my pocket. Never want to be too far away from my tools. And they actually work like the larger counterparts, and I actually use them in my other hobbies - model airplane and miniature furniture construction. I am so passionate about my tools that I have built some of silver and gold, and they do evoke conversation with others who appreciate the crafts. Ralph

Last edited:
Thank you. That is like the jewelery ones Ive seen, but a good deal bigger. I did not realize they were made that big. I assume the weight seen to to the side swings into the opposite side to make the spin part balanced?

Have you tried using a vacuum under the flask and just pouring the metal into the sprue? I have tried that, but with little luck. I was trying to pour a tree of small parts and only got one or two full parts.

I really like the different pitches on the in-lay smoothers. I've made some Krenov and Japanese style planes, but nothing this nice.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Hi Ron. I have heard about that kind of vacuum casting but don't know enough about it to try it. I think that it requires some expensive equipment. Centrifugal casting has given me the best results.

Thanks, barnesrickw. I have grown in this effort, and things got better as I got more practice.

Ralph

For those who appreciate modeling in metal and working with wood:

A new miniature chisel plane crafted of brass with a steel blade and wood knob. Actually works beautifully. Ralph

Chiselplane001_zps340a40ce.jpg

Chisleplane3004_zpscbf89be0.jpg

Chisleplane2001_zps8964f587.jpg

Thank You , Thank you, Thank you!!
Little pieces of Art!

I love them.
I too would line to get more information about the spin casting equip.
and the type of plaster that is used. I want to add this process to my
equipment list.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back