Miniature Tool Collection

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Chiptosser.

The plaster (investment) I use is "Ransom & Randolph Ultra Vest Investment" available at most jewelry supply stores.

And I use

Spring-Driven Centrifugal Casting Machine

as shown in my Feb. 3 posting (#72) above. These are readily available and sometimes inexpensive if you search the net some for a used one. Ralph

I also build special boxes for special things, and I tend to build special things of many sorts.
The "package" is important and reflective of the "gift" it contains.
This is also the case in proper presentation of a trophy or work of art.
And as much attention to design and construction of the box is employed as in that of the item that it complements.

Sometimes the box is designed to contain a particular item. Ralph

LittleBoxes004_zps98f6a835.jpg

In this case, batteries, wire harness, switches and lights.

LittleBoxes005_zps944d97d5.jpg

And on the box a custom, miniature of course, Solenoid Pendulum Engine.

LittleBoxes008_zps9678c8e7.jpg

see it in action on youtube: http://youtu.be/J4sgMcHpB4k

Thought some might be interested in my recent build.

Jackmini008_zps5c94b054.jpg

Jackmini003_zps73afdd2c.jpg

See action video on Youtube: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiS_-uEK3U&feature=share&list=UU-GXI1Wp8qMJcEsSWF5Eu5A[/ame]

Some progress: Ralph

JackII007_zps9c17d106.jpg

JackII012_zps28ae374f.jpg

A mill would have come in handy, but, having none, I am well acquainted with jewelers saws and files.

JackII026_zps0be3f4a7.jpg

JackII029_zps527a7a05.jpg

JackII016_zpsfa093ded.jpg

Last edited:
Ralph,
You do beautiful work. Your jack project is most interesting. A person could probably find dozens of different antique jacks to make miniatures of.
Keep up the good work.
Ernie J

Thanks , Ernie. I have seen many pictures of all sorts of old lever jacks and remember seeing some "in person" in my earlier days,
but I can't quite remember details of their components much. I am in constant search of models or pictures that show the working mechanisms.
I will attempt to build miniatures as some become clear to me. Ralph

Sometimes it's the small "smaller" parts that are most difficult to fabricate. Ralph

JackII2008_zpsc8dec011.jpg

JackII2010_zps72aa511f.jpg

JackII2015_zps2e49080e.jpg

And where did you find an 8" tall bic lighter ??? LOL
Nice work you are true craftsman. But I know someone who has a 3:" diameter dime !!! :D
Tin

Thanks, Tin. Those lighters are a BIG deal out here, and dimes won't buy much -- unless they are big enough. :)

Well, BAH101, I did chock the rear wheel when I lifted the front of the tractor but forgot to chock the front when I lifted the rear and darn near rolled the tractor off the table. :rolleyes:
I'll make sure to remember next time.

Ralph

I've started a new project that might interest some.

Building wheels that are true, straight and centered has always been a short coming of mine.
So I've decided to give it a serious, earnest effort, and if good wheels result, an acceptable new project will follow.

First - hoops were cut from brass plumbing pipe. I have hammered some good round hoops on the anvil horn,
but this time very true round hoops were produced. Ralph

Wheels1002_zps0fc8e176.jpg

One set is 1 3/4 inch diameter and the other is 1 1/2 inch diameter.

Wheel hubs were turned, measured and marked and drilled to accommodate 1/16 inch spokes as were the wheels.

Wheels1021_zps6fd54733.jpg

Wheels1004_zpsad8bd589.jpg

Last edited:
To ensure that the wheel was true with the hub perfectly centered
a simple instrument was devised to lay out all the parts.

Wheels1017_zpsd1699711.jpg

Wheels1018_zps213b63bd.jpg

And a good true wheel resulted designed to resemble an old time model:

Wheels1013_zps603f0a03.jpg

and then another

Wheels1023_zps0cca32e6.jpg

Now only two more are needed and a miniature antique model can be built around them. Ralph

Now there are four.

Wheels2017_zpsf33c3d4b.jpg

I've decided to build a miniature antique horse drawn road grader. Pictures as it progresses.

Ralph

Joined at the hip and with rear wheels and axle installed: Ralph

Wheels4Grader015_zps1a285204.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back