Miniature beam engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan Maritz

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls, i recently saw a tiny little beam engine on youtube. It is made by Microcosm. My question is, does anyone have a drawing of this engine, it looks fairly simple, except the valving, I'm not exactly sure how that is done. Would any one have a drawing, even a rough sketch of this little engine. Would appreciate any help.
Regards Johan
microcosm miniature beam engine.JPG

Attachments

• microcosm miniature beam engine1.JPG
    microcosm miniature beam engine1.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 269
Dear Johan

I am sorry but I was wrong. It is a steam engine and the valving is shown on the picture on the lower right hand corner.
I apologize.
If you wish I can make a drawing of this little machine, however it will be up scaled by 2.

Kind regards

Julius

Hi Julius, it would be greatly appreciated if you could do a drawing on this engine. Scaled up by 2 is perfect, these things do get fiddly when so small.
Kind regards
Johan

Dear Johan

I am sorry but I was wrong. It is a steam engine and the valving is shown on the picture on the lower right hand corner.
I apologize.
If you wish I can make a drawing of this little machine, however it will be up scaled by 2.

Kind regards

Julius
[/QUOTE
Good Day Sir
I too would be interested in drawings when available of the steam engine (photo attached)
Email [email protected]
Thank you
Robert Wager

1632436213647.png

Dear Johan

Did you receive my drawings via e-mail?
I have attached the drawings here.

Kind regards

Attachments

• 09E-57-00-A3-SHEET-01 -.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 404
  • 09E-57-00-A3-SHEET-02 -.pdf
    756.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 09E-57-00-2-205-MOVING PARTS ASSEMBLY.mp4
    4.1 MB
  • 09E-57-00-2-205-MOVING PARTS ASSEMBLY-1.mp4
    4.1 MB
  • 09E-57-00-2-205-MOVING PARTS ASSEMBLY-2.mp4
    8.2 MB
Only found this site yesterday and accidentally ran across this post.
I purchased the miniature Microcosm Beam Engine some time ago because I could not find a suitable beam engine plan and really wanted a beam engine in my collection.

A few days ago I completed a copy and scaled it up 3x. My old hands have trouble with tiny bits these days :)
I did not draw plans but scaled straight from the original Microcosm Engine.

Made some modifications as I did not have big enough pieces of brass so used aluminum and split the main body in two pieces.
The Microcosm engine did not work (linkages too flipperdy flopperdy) so concentrated on well fitting links and I split one link and made it adjustable with some threaded rod.

As you can see from the attached files it runs beautifully and started with the first flip of the flywheel much to my delight.

Cheers
Mike
P.S. Julius does a fantastic job of drawing these little engines and have used his plans on other projects

Attachments

• VID_20211006_151434(0)(0)(1).mp4
    12.2 MB
  • IMG_20211013_104440.jpg
    IMG_20211013_104440.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 146
Thanks for sharing Mike, exactly my idea as well to possibly make the cylinder part on it's own and the somehow bolt it to the mainframe.

Back