Mini-Lathe; T-slotted cross-slide...?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gondolier88

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone on here modded their mini-lathe to have a T-slotted cross-slide? Strikes me it would be a pretty simple mod for anyone with a gib cutter, T-slot cutter and a milling machine.

It would masssively add to the capabilities of the lathe; boring between centres being the main advantage, as well as others.

Greg

Thanks, I hadn't noticed JB had modified his cross slide.

Great info and a big help.

Greg

Dave Fenner wrote a series of articles for Model Engineers' Workshop (www.model-engineer.co.uk) about the mini-lathe. Part 12, in #144, November 2008, was a construction article for a long cross slide. While it did not include T-slots per se, the author noted that the increased thickness of his slide would permit their addition.

I have thought of modding the existing cross slide on my lathe but I'm concerned it's not deep enough without compromising the strength. Making a deeper one is quite a lot of work and will reduce the swing so I've dropped that idea. Another option some others have used is to drill a limited matrix of tapped holes to hold stuff. I may try this myself at some point.

What a star, that is exactly what I wanted to see- and a neat way of getting round a couple of seemingly insurmountable problems too!

Thanks everyone.

Greg

I know this is an old thread, but thanks for posting that link. Mike has some great mini lathe mods on his site.

Back