Discussion in 'Finished Projects' started by doc1955, Mar 16, 2019.
Good work Doc
Nice engine Doc. I will have to go through your video's . I seem to remember you making a video on buzz coils somewhere ,maybe on another forum.
I made a couple one where I show how to modify a cheap relay to make it work and one where I made a small Jacobs Ladder with a buzz coil.
Very interesting . I have a Red Wing engine I am going to start soon and this maybe the ticket for the ignition .
Very nice work.
I tore it apart and powder coated some of the parts. I don't do a lot during the summer in the shop. Usually to busy out side. Well today was a crappy day outside so I started putting her back together again. Not sure but I may powder coat the heads yet. I'll decide once I get her all back together and see how she looks.
Looks good! A great engine!
DOC1955 how did you get the relay to oscillate?
I suppose you rigged the contact to cut off the battery as soon as the armature pull in.
If that is so, then the relay is not defective, it simple has not enough time to completely pull and it probably sing at high frequency. By weakening the spring there is enough inertia in the armature to keep moving after cut off, that would result in a lower switching frequency and work as you expected.
A more refined way would be to delay the action of cutting off the coil drive with a transisto and a delay network. Then you can control the frequency and have enough time for the coil to do a full pull, plus avoid messing with the relay.
Actually the coil is on the weaker side and is too slow by messing with the spring it allows it to work with the weaker coil.
Well I spent the morning trying to find where a lower end knock was coming from. (I had tore it down to powder coat some of the parts) I kept thinking it was end play in the crank and was trying different things to get it to run without the knock. No success, I was almost ready to give up and tear it down again. Then I thought it does sound like the crank hitting a screw hmmmm. I took the 3 screws out of the bushing carrier and there it was. One of the screws was just a tad long and yes the crank was smacking it. Wheew that was a battle.
I also was having issues with my ignition system but after raising the resistance to the coil it seems to be fine. Still need to build a decent box or stand for plus better exhaust pipes.
I spent time trying to get the carb set I think I have it close. I also was still having trouble over heating my ignition board. I think I have that sorted out now. So now I can put the ignition box back together and start thinking of a display stand for it. I did square up some blocks for my next build.
Etched out some double ignition boards.
Soldered up one of the boards and tested it out. Works as it should with a coil I wound and I also checked it with a coil pack from I believe a Ford. I used some resistors to bring the resistance up to over 1 to not over work any of the 3 IC components. With the resistors I played around quite some time and didn't even get warm so I think it will work fine.
Ok that was dumb man nothing like a simple thing to make you feel dumb once you find it LOL!
Ok relocated fuel tank lower didn't like where it was. I did a test run to see just how long a full fuel tank would run. So here is a video of a full tank run.
I had positioned tank down on the base and it ran good there ( seems to not care to much the height of the tank) but I just didn't like the looks of it. I didn't like the fuel hose going up and around the exhaust pipe so I made a riser mount to put it on. I have a box/stand in the works for the motor just need to get a few things sorted out yet.
Ok have the Mini Hog mounted on its box and got the exhaust tubes nickel plated it's about ready to be put up on the shelve and move on to the next engine.
I watched the entire build of both your engine . Great job , both sound awesome!
Separate names with a comma.