Mini diesel engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miniature compression ignition engines most often are run on ether / castor oil. 😃
Hehehe😄, Thommo..
Castor oil is a lubricant for the model engine. Also the model diesel engine with variable compression are running on kerosene/ether. Ether is a igniter for kerosene. 🙂

Thanks for the "likes" and compliments
I put a lot of oil in the engine to prevent damage to the pistons and cylinders when the engine warms up ( I'm not sure :D ) because I didn't install the water pipes
so when the engine runs it bleeds oil

Hey, it’s a prototype and a miniature diesel mate. Give yourself some credit Than, there are a lot of model engine builders out there that wouldn’t have a go at building a production diesel, much less build one to their own specs (albeit with alot of good advice from this forum) and get it to run nicely! I have no doubt that once you setup the cooling system and iron out the kinks, she will be awesome!

Hi Than, I don’t have the time to build anything at the moment, unfortunately! However if you do edit your drawings I might be interested in getting a copy for use in the future. Cheers

Congratulations! Exciting to see a model diesel running. Yes, I would be interested in the plans!

You may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, so forgive me if this is a repeat - are you running this on auto diesel, or kerosene, or ??

Hi All !
Sorry for the late reply, i have to go out today
I use: 1 kerosene + 1 ether
I forgot to buy castor oil so I added 1/3 W20
Start with room temperature
This video I try with only kerosene
Heat the cylinder head with the torch for about 10 seconds

So ....diesel engine must use diesel oil ??

Not necessarily must but kerosene is much more like a #1 diesel and something that only runs on #1 diesel isn't practical if #1 diesel is impossible to find for 5 to 8 months of the year.
So if I have a small engine - - - - I might call it a SVO engine when I'm running it on SVO but it might be a diesel engine at its root.

I guess what I'm saying is that you haven't finished with the design challenges on creating a diesel injector yet.
AIUI if I can't use commonly available fuels - - - well then that isn't a commonly available fuel engine.

Your thread has been looking at the challenges of getting a good injection of fuel for a diesel engine.
As soon as you're adding any amount of ether - - - - well that's a great starting assist but its also a tricky tool.
Even slightly incorrect usage of ether can be quite hard on your engine and maybe even on your person.

Running the dieselengine with ether added in kerosene is not cheap fuel economy. It means the injector must atomize the fuel so very smaller drops to heat up quickly to ignite due ignition lagg (The time from the atomized fuel is leaving the injector to the fuel is ignited in the length of time). Find Hansen used turpentine or kerosene with 2% two stroke engine oil to lubricate the pump/injector.

Not necessarily must but kerosene is much more like a #1 diesel and something that only runs on #1 diesel isn't practical if #1 diesel is impossible to find for 5 to 8 months of the year.

I think kerosene is easy to get! ?? or am i wrong?
I don't think storing some kerosene is an inconvenience or difficulty...

Your thread has been looking at the challenges of getting a good injection of fuel for a diesel engine.
As soon as you're adding any amount of ether - - - - well that's a great starting assist but its also a tricky tool.
Even slightly incorrect usage of ether can be quite hard on your engine and maybe even on your person.
That's the problem so I want to use kerosene
Every engine I do I try to use easy-to-find fuel like gasoline, kerosene or gasoline + oil w

Back