Mini Bike

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who needs a squirrel?

This guy managed okay;

images

Steve, Micromark has liquid rubber you can mold. It has different drying time depending on with one you buy. This rubber is see to make tires for models. They also sell mold silicone to make the molds with. I am sure you could make a mold to pour the rubber in, after all you have done so far on this mini bike :bow: small step for a stepper. I have been following your progress just being quiet here till now.

Don

If you are interested in casting either hard or soft plastic or rubber parts, here's a link to the folks that have everything you need:

http://www.smooth-on.com/

Lots of info on line, and if there is a retail outlet near you, they are very helpful in teaching you how to do things. I found them when my wife stripped a plastic gear in an electric food mill she liked, and no replacement was avaialble. I was able to cast a new one that worked perfectly.

Speedy said:
how did you go about scaling your frame down to size?

I borrowed a real minibike from a guy and broke out the tape measure. I got lucky and found a piece of round stock that fit the inside radius of the bends. That gave me the radius but also help me locate the center of the bends also. From there it's just a matter of measuring the brackets and plates and there location.

Don1966 said:
Steve, Micromark has liquid rubber you can mold. It has different drying time depending on with one you buy. This rubber is see to make tires for models. They also sell mold silicone to make the molds with. I am sure you could make a mold to pour the rubber in, after all you have done so far on this mini bike :bow: small step for a stepper. I have been following your progress just being quiet here till now.

Don

I used the micromark products to make sparkplug boots for the Demon. The hard part for me would be making the mold. I imagine I would have to machine one in aluminum. Them make the mold from the aluminum one. Then I would need to make a core and figure out a way to register it on perfect center. I'm guessing the best way would be to fill the mold and use a vacuum pump to evacuate the air from the mold.

They sell kiddy tricycle replacement hand grips. Is there any chance that they might be in scale?

Tbe grips can be molded the same way as the boots
Dave

stevehuckss396 said:
I doubt it. The inside diameter is only .3125. I would think they will be only 1.500 inches long or so.

OK,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0[/ame]

It was worth a try.

I used the micromark products to make sparkplug boots for the Demon. The hard part for me would be making the mold. I imagine I would have to machine one in aluminum. Them make the mold from the aluminum one. Then I would need to make a core and figure out a way to register it on perfect center.

Since you only need to make a couple of them I would make a rubber- RTV- mold. Form the master from clay, freehand shaping it to look like you want it. Put the clay on a brass rod of the inside dia. Then put the master, with a bit of the brass rod sticking out as a core print into a clay half mold. Cover that with RTV. When it is cured remove the clay and make the other half of the mold. Use the brass rod as a core when you cast your parts.

With all the curing time it may take a week to finish, but only a few minutes of work each day.

Still following along and loving every minute of it Steve. :bow:

Bill

stevehuckss396 said:
The boots were easy in that I machined a mold and went to work. These will require a few extra steps.

I have faith bubba I have faith! :bow:

I do believe you have it all sorted out Steve.

Don

Or do it Ron's way but machine the male mold, and from that make the female mold with a core for the handle bar hole.

You could use the little hole in the very end they all seem to have to support the core while it cures.

Dave

I'm still at it. I tore down the engine and drew up the head and head gasket. I have started drawing the crankcase but it's only about 60% done. The motor I have has the exhaust routed out the side of the case. I'm going to move it to the rear so it looks more like the real thing.

untitled-1.jpg

What is happening with this great project? Are you still going, Steve?

I know I have been MIA, but did I miss this getting done?

Latest posts

Back