Mini Bike

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is happening with this great project? Are you still going, Steve?

I know I have been MIA, but did I miss this getting done?

You missed nothing. I thought work would slow down but we went to a 7 day week. I have done nothing except order material for the rims. I got a 3 day weekend for the holiday and it's back to 7 days. Might get back at it after the new year.

I designed the wrong wheels. I have 2 new drawings. One is for the 4 inch steel wheel and the other is for the 5 inch mag wheel. Should start on the wheels soon.

untitled-6.jpg

untitled2-2.jpg

Remember, it took the big machinist in the sky a full week, so I think you're still on schedule to get this thing done. Keep chugging.
Mosey

I have turned the blanks for the front wheels. I made a few extras just in case. They have the
outer profile that an RC rim would have. I have the Gcode 85% done. I will do some cutting
this weekend if nothing come up.

DSCN3144.jpg

DSCN3146.jpg

DSCN3148.jpg

Well I finished half of one wheel before snapping a very expensive and fragile cutter. I am trying to locate another one right now. As soon as I get my paws on one i'll get going on the other half.

I was going to make 2 wheels (4 Halfs) so i made a fixture from a small piece of Corian.

DSCN3150.jpg

The blank is loaded and because I just made the fixture, all I need to do is set my Z height.

DSCN3153.jpg

All the cutting is done first.

DSCN3155.jpg

Then the holes are drilled.

DSCN3158.jpg

Then i lightly dusted the wheel with the sand blaster to remove the machine marks and get ready
for some white paint.
DSCN3160.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing that stanley knife blade in the background gives me a sence of perspective, it 'aint half small. Looking great :D

Ever thought about fitting it with a gyro and remote control??

(video removed as I watched it through again)

Rob. :)

Last edited:
Hey Steve,
Yes I just saw this thread, I'm all caught up, this project is way Cool. I affirm the move to the Tecumseh engine. On our mini bike the Tecumseh engine was faster. I don't know which bike we had but it was similar to the one your building. My brother and I also got a hold of a golf cart rear axle and made a go cart.
Art

just found this thread, all i can say... nothing.... i am speechless. this is a REALLY cool project, keep up with the work!!!

I had forgotten about this build, good to see it progressing again Steve :)

Thanks Steve,
I saw the surgeon Friday looked at the x rays said everything looked good. The first time I saw the x rays I thought the second plate was wire, good thing I dont read the things. usually It feels pretty good.
Art

Little more done today. I made the foot peg mounts and silver soldered them in place using the modified fixture. I also made the kick stand parts and now have them silver soldered as well. I need to do a little more work and the frames will be ready for paint.

pretty cool looking Thm:
Just wondering why you use silver solder instead of brass on even steel
are you going to powder coat it?

Because that's what is on the shelf. No other reason. I plan to paint the frame with Testors model paint. Need to match the original color.

Well the paint work is not the greatest but if you have seen my other projects it's about what you have come to expect. I'm not very good with that type of stuff. The color is Plum Crazy. That is one of the original colors for an early 70's ruttman.

Back