Mini Bike

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Crap Steve. Even the Jockeys I know are too large to ride that.
Have you hired your race team yet? :big:

miner49r said:
Holy Crap Steve. Even the Jockeys I know are too large to ride that.
Have you hired your race team yet? :big:

Yeah, It's pretty small. One third scale exactly. From the bottom to top of the frame is only 5 inches. I even measured the radius of the bends and made my bending shoes 1/3rd radius.

About the only thing i have to cheat on is the rims. The original rim is 5 inch. I am going to use a 1.9 RC tire so my rim will scale to 5.7 inch. The tire I found wont have the correct tread but is almost exactly the right size. I did find chain that is almost exact but it will be plastic. Can't find metal chain with a .125 pitch. The plastic is .1225 pitch, close enough.

Hi Steve, I'm really enjoying your build. This brings back memories of my Fox minibike with a Westbend 2 stroke. It was fast & fun. My father rode it and told me to get rid of that damn thing. I suppose it was a "little" unsafe. Gary

Made the die to crimp the forks down by the axle. Works well and is almost exact to the real fork. I tested it on a scrap piece of tube and it looks good. The crimp is not exactly centered because I was too lazy to drill the tube to pin the die before testing.

DSCN2876s.jpg

DSCN2878s.jpg

DSCN2881s.jpg

Oh yea that looks very familiar!
These bikes sound really cool by the way with studded snow blower tires on them....... :big:

Dave

Looking great Steve but come on now, make up a program to pop out a ton of side plates, or maybe 2 tons :big: and make your own chain. As an aside I have seen model motorcycle guys make photo etch side plates and build their own chains. I don't know that I would have that much ambition but I guess that's what separates Lou Chenot from me.
George

Steve, McMaster does carry miniature chain and they have a version in S.S. but the pitch is .148"...probably too far out of spec for you. They are quite proud of it though ar $41 a foot. I had found it while researching a new project for myself. They carry some miniature sprockets too but similarly pricey!!

Bill

HS93 said:
this is metric but may not be of any use but a lot cheaper they do have other chain

http://www.technobotsonline.com/steel-roller-chain-04b-6mm-m.html

Peter

That chain is 6mm. It is almost twice as large as what I need. The .148 may look way too big also. I know the plastic chain is a bit of a cop out but it is only .0025 from scale. It won't do any work except freewheel the rear tire unless I can find someone too actually ride it.

Oh thats a tough one.....lets see....what could you do .......wow
let me think ummmmmmmmm
Dave

Great idea for a project Steve. The classic minibike is, well, a classic.

Nice to see all of the frame parts fixtured up.

Have you designed the engine already?

Handgrips would be great ;D

But only because its something I need to do at some point in the not so very distant future.

As you have the chassis done, why not support it on some wheels...

Rob.

stevehuckss396 said:
It won't do any work except freewheel the rear tire unless I can find someone too actually ride it.

Looks like we have a volunteer ;)

I have jiddery eyes today so I am only looking at the work in the pictures.

maybe you posted how,
this is the kind of model making I hope to start soon, have an engine I would like to put in a midget car.
how did you go about scaling your frame down to size?

amazing work!

Latest posts

Back