Mills MK1 Series 1 Scaled down to 0.56cc

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I did some work today!
E42A2E27-994E-4990-BA58-BF894D06F6CF.jpeg

having no tools for measure the tapper, only “feel” was used... having both piston and cylinder finished, I had That feel... hope it works...
F5335802-F7A7-4A4D-BBBE-641C42F2CC98.jpeg
EA27C554-0ED6-4FBA-B3C2-8341043189F3.jpeg
12D810B6-B4C2-42FF-B723-FE7F5D415E55.jpeg

Last edited:
hey! yes, i saw your drawings on other post, will be nice to see how it goes in the process.
Some problems I have run into is working with AutoCAD the part look great till find it size of wire. That size part would be hard to make and use.
Smallest that works for thread size is #2-56 or #2-64 screw size or 0.086" diameter.

Dave

PS I have tap 0-80 0.060" diameter it is not fun the thing think of what if it break it just all around.
If I was doing hundreds I would use lead screw taping.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in building small engines, it really depends upon what you call small. I only build diesels and spark ignition engines, and my ignition engines are never small. My first really small diesel built back in 1988 was an own design 0.15cc diesel. Picture attached. Then at one time having built a 1cc Weaver I just halved all dimensions and made a 0.125cc version that I called the "Weevil" 'cos it really was an evil little thing before I sorted it out. Picture of both attached. Then just last year I made a copy of the well known Clanford "Clan" of 0.24cc. A video of the first run of the Clan is here Picture of the engine and parts also attached. So do I qualify as a builder of small engines?
Ken

Well I'm not sure--can you get any smaller? LOL

Some more work done today, piston/cylinder fits seems to be great. Everything feels like a good engine, no tight spots, nice breathing sound.. just missing the compression screw and milling the step in the piston top.
EC1DD81F-1BB2-4CDC-8A0A-9CDD253601B9.jpeg

If engine runs, will make a new fuel carb and scaled fuel tank...

Looks great
I hope post a video ofengine running.

I have thinking of using magnesium to weight down but used magnesium on B29 engines and had little problem with fire.
The material is using titanium instead of steel. Keeping the weight down.

The engine I build will use on a RC model airplane. I planned mak this type engine back 1970 but life took over.

Dave

Some more work done today, piston/cylinder fits seems to be great. Everything feels like a good engine, no tight spots, nice breathing sound.. just missing the compression screw and milling the step in the piston top. View attachment 122410

Some more work done today, piston/cylinder fits seems to be great. Everything feels like a good engine, no tight spots, nice breathing sound.. just missing the compression screw and milling the step in the piston top. View attachment 122410
I don't think milling the piston step after having achieved a good piston fit is a good idea at all. Easy to damage the piston when holding it. How to successfully de-burr the machined edges? How to ensure the piston doesn't distort ? etc.. But it all looks very nice so far.

I don't think milling the piston step after having achieved a good piston fit is a good idea at all. Easy to damage the piston when holding it. How to successfully de-burr the machined edges? How to ensure the piston doesn't distort ? etc.. But it all looks very nice so far.
you are right! i used my lapping ring as a holder.... but needed to de-burr the cut very carefully with a small file and make a last pass in the lapping ring. with good luck, my piston did not get damaged or distorted.... next time will make the cut before lapping...

Latest posts

Back