Milling Vise Recommendations

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

Reaction score
I'd look elsewhere and save a few dollars
if you are disappointed with a premium tool, I would think you owe it to yourself and to the company to complain and give them a chance to make it right. it may be still worth giving them a chance, what does it cost you - 10 minutes to write an email and ask for their help?

Personally I have a Kurt 6 inch that I bought used from a machinery dealer near San Pedro, and it is excellent. I also bought the swivel base but I rarely use it.

L98fiero

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a new KURT a year ago and it had a rough spot in the lead screw right out of the box, I was super disappointed after spending all the extra cash to get it. I am sure they would of fixed it but sending it back seemed daunting. I would not spend the premium again having received a substandard vise for top dollar. I'd look elsewhere and save a few dollars, of coarse everyone's needs are different.
That's not so unusual. I spent the extra money to buy a Kennedy toolbox that I wasn't that impressed with, the drawers weren't aligned and the handles were crooked, it was no better than one I could have bought at one of the 'big box' stores. Many companies are selling products just based on their name/reputation and the quality control is becoming secondary to profit margins.

ajoeiam

Reaction score
At the prices listed - - - - sorry - - - -I'm going to find a way to make something a LOT cheaper work.
There are tricks for tuning up all kinds of things - - -vices included!!!
(A 10" vice - - - - marked as a second for north of $3k usd - - - - that's not even in the same galaxy as 'reasonable' imo.)