Milling tools for 60* chamfer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamstn

Reaction score
I am making a gib for the cross slide on my lathe and need to mill a 60* angle on each side of the gib. I have a 45* inserted cutter but was looking through the catalog and saw counter sink cutters that are said to chamfer also. Anyone have experience using counter sinks to chamfer and edge or would it be bewt to go ahead and get a 60* face mill? Just though that if a counter sink kit would work it would serve more uses and save a few $.

Rather than use a chamfered cutter , could you not mount the
work piece at the required angle and use a normal flat end mill ?
Thats how I did mine

Don

It was getting late yesterday and I tried by mounting the gib in a small vice and then into the 6" mill vice but with the gib 12" long it was not rigid enough. It would have chattered as I cut the ends. I have yet to think up of another way to mount it at an angle.

The other approach (if your mill is able) is to swivel the head to create the 60 degree angle.

Best,

BW

You need four hands, but with patience you can clamp the gib in the vice between two pieces of heavier material with a thin parallel under the gib. Think of something like 1/4" parallels 12" long. If you still get chatter, put a C clamp on each end to hold the ends tight.

You can certainly use a countersink for chamfering, but you need to keep the speed up and the feed fairly slow, plus lots of lube if possible, otherwise you will find that you will get a ridged surface.

I have a couple of dedicated angle ended milling cutters, and in my mind, would not be worth yourself purchasing unless you had a few specific jobs for them, they are fairly costly just for a one off job.

Bogs

Another method is to use a piece of scrap round stock and mill a slot for the gib add acouple of set screws then it can be clamped in the t-slots of the table at the angle that you need.

Tony

Just use a center drill I've used them in the past for that and they work just fine.

doc1955 said:
Just use a center drill I've used them in the past for that and they work just fine.

AHHH. HAAA. Now there is an interesting thought.!!!
I will have to look into that come Wed.
...Lew...

Thanks for the great ideas. Have to keep the slot in a round bar idea for the future and I had thought about the center drill but I was afraid I would have to cut the pilot end off to get clearance.

I had to go to town today and a guy told me about a place that he has bought lathe tooling from and so I went to check them out. Ended up getting a 3/4" 6 flute counter sink and got the new gib done, installed and working good. Even found a few 3/4" carbide tipped tools in the bargain bin for my lathe to try. Tried to turn an old axle shaft the other day and HSS wouldn't touch it.

Also went to the recyclers today and found almost everything to build a rotating table for the mill. Picked up a big weight for the table and even threw in a couple small ones to make fly wheels if needed. Think I found the plans here or a link to it for a 4" but I am going with a 8".

use a center drill I've used them in the past for that and they work just fine.]ust use a center drill I've used them in the past for that and they work just fine.
just use a cd that the end broke off of you known recycle re purpose.
Tin

Back