Milling profiles (Help!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

methuselah1

Reaction score
Folks, I'm usually a Westbury builder, but I've recently started a Whittle V8. The timing gear cover has a basic profile with many lugs around the periphery which the studs pass through... How on earth do you machine these things manually?!

I don't know how to upload photos, but here's a link to a webpage with some photos of what I wish to achieve, to the bottom -

www.mississeipi.com/10579469

Last edited:
When Ned Westbury made the Wooden moulds, he obviously, made a base and added added set of mugs held by glue.
So you make the base out of steel instead and 'glue' the lugs with a welding set.

If you followed what I was prattling on about a fabricated Universal Pillar tool and a Stent tool and cuttr grinder on another reply today, that is what happened.

I'm a long retired 'bean counter' not anything else and bought sa clapped out baby Mig for £15 and the rest is history. ame old job, same old sh1t?

Norman

Last edited:
My project is a bit small for that, but thank you for replying! I've added a link, so people can see the project, and the timing case I want to make.

Found this pic. Is this the part? If so the main arc (red) looks like it would be made milled on a rotary table. The lug (like where the bolt is) might be made with a filing button as a guide. I just joined up on that io group forum for a looksee. I'm sure there would be some additional help from folks who made the exact part you are wondering about. Let us know if you learn of anything new

Attachments

• 2021-03-07_11-06-45.jpg
    2021-03-07_11-06-45.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 266
Hi,

As Petertha said - while it would be possible to do all the machining using a rotary table, the numerous set-ups would be tedious and time consuming. It would probably be quicker to file the profiles

Ian

Folks, I'm usually a Westbury builder, but I've recently started a Whittle V8. The timing gear cover has a basic profile with many lugs around the periphery which the studs pass through... How on earth do you machine these things manually?!

I don't know how to upload photos, but here's a link to a webpage with some photos of what I wish to achieve, to the bottom -

www.mississeipi.com/10579469

Your link doesn't work.......

The plans show the two radius's and the distance betwen centers.
Do you have a rotary table?
Do the center holes then clear out the center and work from there.
One step at a time, it will come to you. Do the outside perimeter with the bolt bosses last. File the outside profile.

Latest posts

Back