• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Milling Machine for Sale

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, that's about housing, but what about the tools? Mills, lathes, etc? If peeps are moving in as fast as housing can be built, I would thimpfk that the price of tools would go up in TN and down in CA. Tools are reasonable in Illinois and Michigan because the glut from the car manufactories is still there from 30 years ago.
The real issue with machinery prices is availability ... in Ohio and all around the north/central part of the country machine shops were one every block, supporting a LOT of manufacturing industry. As manufacturing has moved off-shore, the old shops closed down; lots of surplus equipment available at auctions.
Arizona does not have the history of manufacturing with all the supporting shops, so not as much equipment available.

The real issue with machinery prices is availability ... in Ohio and all around the north/central part of the country machine shops were one every block, supporting a LOT of manufacturing industry. As manufacturing has moved off-shore, the old shops closed down; lots of surplus equipment available at auctions.
Arizona does not have the history of manufacturing with all the supporting shops, so not as much equipment available.
Precisely. But what about TN? Did it have some manufacturing that closed down too?

I"m not that far away (Indianapolis) and you're mill is much better than mine. This issue is that I'm out of room (boo....).

OK, that's how they put people out of work and at the same time increase speed and accuracy. The new machines replacing manual machines makes sense in place where the auto industry went tits down but Tennessee? What kind of manufacturing took place in TN which went out of business?

There are several auto plants in our town the Nissan factory is 7 miles from my house. None of the local machine shops have gone out of business and automated machining centers have not put anyone out of work. The people that use to run the Bridgeport mills now run the machining centers. The car factories farm out lots of work to the local machine shops. Both machine shops in town now have several machining centers. One machine shop has moved to a new building they have 4 machining centers. There are 2 auto assembly plants here.

There are several auto plants in our town the Nissan factory is 7 miles from my house. None of the local machine shops have gone out of business and automated machining centers have not put anyone out of work. The people that use to run the Bridgeport mills now run the machining centers. The car factories farm out lots of work to the local machine shops. Both machine shops in town now have several machining centers. One machine shop has moved to a new building they have 4 machining centers. There are 2 auto assembly plants here.
Where exactly do you live?

Last chance ...
I have had several nibbles but no bites on the mill and tooling.
Later this week I will contract a local machine auction that I have worked with in the past and put it up for sale through them.
If anyone is seriously interested, reply to this post and we can go from there. From comments, the price seems to be good, but I am open to haggling!
Paul

If anyone is seriously interested, reply to this post and we can go from there. From comments, the price seems to be good, but I am open to haggling!

Just in case anyone is unfamiliar with that mill and on the fence - think Bridgeport and a half...

Assuming the wear is within reasonable limits, it's quite the machine for $2000, especially since it's almost free given the tooling and accessories Paul is including.

I have its twin, only with a 30-taper spindle. Feels a lot more rigid than the Bridgies I've driven (admittedly, they were college physics-dept shop machines, so their prior users have been both clumsy and inconsiderate, but my XLO seems to have been rather promiscuous in her younger years as well), which I think comes from the fact that the nod on the XLO head is much closer to the spindle axis than the Bridgeport design.

I got mine out of a split-level basement with only an engine hoist, a pallet jack, and an 8-month pregnant wife, so while the XLO is a bit heavier than a bridgie, it's not unmanageably so. The overarm comes off with 4 bolts.

If you're anywhere close (or willing to put up with longer transport) and have any need of a mill, you could do a lot worse than this one. If it weren't for the fact that I'm already out of space, I'd have snatched this up already...

Will

Just in case anyone is unfamiliar with that mill and on the fence - think Bridgeport and a half...

Assuming the wear is within reasonable limits, it's quite the machine for $2000, especially since it's almost free given the tooling and accessories Paul is including.

I have its twin, only with a 30-taper spindle. Feels a lot more rigid than the Bridgies I've driven (admittedly, they were college physics-dept shop machines, so their prior users have been both clumsy and inconsiderate, but my XLO seems to have been rather promiscuous in her younger years as well), which I think comes from the fact that the nod on the XLO head is much closer to the spindle axis than the Bridgeport design.

I got mine out of a split-level basement with only an engine hoist, a pallet jack, and an 8-month pregnant wife, so while the XLO is a bit heavier than a bridgie, it's not unmanageably so. The overarm comes off with 4 bolts.

If you're anywhere close (or willing to put up with longer transport) and have any need of a mill, you could do a lot worse than this one. If it weren't for the fact that I'm already out of space, I'd have snatched this up already...

Will

Agreed - this is an excellent deal (subject of course to inspection of the machine). I already have a BP, and live way too far away ... but I hope someone here can benefit!

I already have a BP, and live way too far away ... but I hope someone here can benefit!

North Carolina is not way-too-far-away, it's practically next door :) My XLO came to Ohio from New Jersey, and I picked my Giddings & Lewis hor-bor up from NC. A road-trip is a minimal markup for as much more tool as your $ would get you here, compared to a similarly-priced, untooled bench top mill.

Future-me may have unpleasant things to say to today-me, but... I like the XLO enough to offer - should someone want to collect this thing from Paul, but be unsure about managing the rigging themselves, Lebanon OH isn't too far from me. If schedules could be worked out, I would be willing to swing over and help you get it moved and on a trailer.

North Carolina is not way-too-far-away, it's practically next door :) My XLO came to Ohio from New Jersey, and I picked my Giddings & Lewis hor-bor up from NC. A road-trip is a minimal markup for as much more tool as your $ would get you here, compared to a similarly-priced, untooled bench top mill.

Future-me may have unpleasant things to say to today-me, but... I like the XLO enough to offer - should someone want to collect this thing from Paul, but be unsure about managing the rigging themselves, Lebanon OH isn't too far from me. If schedules could be worked out, I would be willing to swing over and help you get it moved and on a trailer.
I live in Washington State and I considered it, but truly, it is too far away for me.

Back