Milling cast iron (Class 40)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Tarr

Reaction score
I need to mill out the webbing on a flywheel made from round stock, gray cast iron (class 40). I have a bench mill (PM727V with 1KW DC motor) that can do 2000 RPM. The webbing is 0.300" thick. I was thinking of getting a 5/16" carbide endmill and looking for suggestions. the 5/16" was chosen due to fillets in the webbing.

I have machine tons of class 45.
It cuts like butter and holds size.

Dave

I need to mill out the webbing on a flywheel made from round stock, gray cast iron (class 40). I have a bench mill (PM727V with 1KW DC motor) that can do 2000 RPM. The webbing is 0.300" thick. I was thinking of getting a 5/16" carbide endmill and looking for suggestions. the 5/16" was chosen due to fillets in the webbing.

Machining shouldn't be a problem. YOu should be able to find a good recommendation for spindle speed on line or in Machinery's Hand Book. If you are manual machining there is no snese in rushing so you don't need an optimized spindle speed like a production CNC machinist.

The really important thing here is protecting your machinery from the machining dust castiron creates. It might even pay to use a vacuum system. In any event ways and other bearings need to be protected from that dust with covers. Afterwards the machine must be throughly cleaned up.

Back