• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Milling attachment for old Atlas lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes

Reaction score
Anyone have a milling attachment that will fit a 7-inch Atlas lathe? looked for one on ebay and Craig's list, but with a lathe this old, I couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Wesley

I don't think Atlas made a 7" lathe... Model number? I see milling attachments on feebay all the time. In fact there was one listed while I was looking yesterday.

I've looked it over for a model number everywhere. Haven't found one yet. Don't have a manual ethier.

wes said:
I've looked it over for a model number everywhere. Haven't found one yet. Don't have a manual ethier.
Lathes.co.uk has a pretty good section on the little Atlas lathes and pictures to ID them.

The ID plate may be on the back side of the lathe bed. If you measure from the lathe bed to the center of the dead center this will give you the size of the lathe 6 inch is a 12 inch lathe. Atlas and craftsman are one in the same lathes in design, a milling attachment for a 10 inch will work on a 12 inch as well as the other way around.

I'll se if I can post some pictures. Don't have a digital camera, so I'll have to use up a disposible.

Wes

On my 618 the ID plate is on the tailstock end of the bed. Should be obvious if it's there.

Wes, did you visit the lathes.co.uk site and look at the photos? Does one look like it?

I haven't yet. I'll do that as soon as I'm done here.

Wes

Here's the stats. #1 The lathe is a 10 inch not 7. I measured from dead center to the top of the carrige. #2 The model number is TH54. Might help to get that right.

Wes

Ok! There is at least one milling attachment on eBay right now to fit that machine.

I looked on ebay feb 28, But didn't find it. please post a direct address if you find another.

Thanks,
Wes

Wes;

I have an Atlas lathe and browse around ebay at times. The milling attachments I have seen for Atlas are very pricey because they are not a common item and somewhat collectible.

On the other hand, you can get a new milling attachment and without too much work adapt it to mount on your compound. I have one I bought from Little Machine Shop and used on my 7x10 and later on my 12" Atlas. They are limited in the size of material they will hold but work pretty well for small engine parts. I made all of my early engines using one of these.

The second part of doing this is that while it is possible to hold an end mill in the chuck, it is better to get a couple of collets to hold the end mills. A 1/2" and 3/8" collet will hold most end mill shanks that you would want to use. You have to make a drawbar out of all thread but that is easy.

Here is the part from LMS. Currently selling for $63.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1956&category=

I have an Atlas milling attachment that I may be willing to part with.
I will see if I can get some pictures of it and post it on this thread.

Blackvette, I got lucky when we bought the shop the lathe came with every acessory you could need including a collet set oringinal to the lathe. Not to mention the owner was just as picky as I am if notmore in his care of the lathe.

Quickj, I would like to see that milling attachment.

Thanks,
Wes

QuickJ , have you got those pics?

Wes,
I will go down to the shop right now and see if I can find it (I think I know what cupboard it is in) and snap some pics.

Wes,
Here is a picture of the Atlas Milling Attachment that I have. Model Number 10-501. It is missing the original handwheel, but I have a cast iron ball handle that could be made to work. It is also missing one of the small pins that clamp the attachment to the lathe compound but that would be a very easy fix. I would like to get $150.00 for it, which is about 1/2 of the going rate on eBay. Send me a PM if you are still intrested.

100_1044.jpg

Back