• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

miford sale

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are they!

The small 3 jaw is a Prat burnerd!

Andrew

Congratulations I'm glad to see another member has been lucky enough to buy some kit from the sad remains of Myford .I'm travelling to the factory shortly to pick up my new toy :big:
best wishes Frazer

What did you get???

Hopefully something way cooler than mine!!!!

Andrew

Lot770 a ML7R factory refurbished to replace a very worn ML7 just praying every thing is OK as iv spent the kids inheritance :big: it had been for sale in the Myford reconditioned section for £4850 plus vat so even with the commission to add to the final bit its still a good saving.The only thing is the language is going to be blue the first time i chip the paint :big:
best wishes Frazer

Congratulations!!!!! woohoo1

I am sure everything will be just perfect!!!!
I am lucky in that my ML7 is from 1969 and it is still in perfect condition.
Hopefully i can keep it hat way!

Post some pics when you pick up your new lathe!!!!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,many thanks Iv just managed to finally crack posting pics so will post a couple of the new toy when i manage to collect it.
Its sad that Myford have gone but looking through the listing of the auction i cannot understand with the amount of cnc kit they had why the lathes had so much hand assembly maybe some one with greater knowedge can enlighten me
kind regards Frazer

Someone described Myfords to me a few years ago as a factory of old men waiting to retire.

That thought about the hand finishing cropped up for me as well.

John S.

I think it is just the British way of doing things.

Think about Rolls Royce cars.
How much of that car is finished by hand by skilled technicians?
It is amazing to watch those guys work!

It was just part of the Myford culture and tradition.
They took great pride in their workmanship.

Andrew

lazylathe said:
I can wait!!! ;D

I really needed the narrow 4 jaw so that i can utilize the gap bed of my Myford lathe.

It is just really cool to have some bits from the old Myford Factory that i can use at home!

I missed out on the set that i really wanted though...
It was a 3 and 4 jaw set of Burnerd chucks...
Oh well i think the one 3 jaw is a Burnerd so not all is lost!

I am a happy camper!!!! :big:

Andrew

Andrew

Did you ever receive your chucks? How did the shipping work out? If you have answered somewhere else just point me there. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

WOW!!! I had totally forgotten about this thread!!! ;D

Yes i did receive the chucks!
Would i ever do it again?
NO!!!!!
It was too much hassle and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive to get them here!

But then again i do have something from Myford history! ;D
The Pratt chuck was actually calibrated and came with a certificate, which was pretty cool!
It has seen some use and is nice and small.

I will take some pics of the other ones later tonight.
They are quite interesting!

Thanks for reminding me Don!!!

Andrew,

I'm glad you brought this post back to life, as I have a bit of a statement to make.

Think about Rolls Royce cars.
How much of that car is finished by hand by skilled technicians?
It is amazing to watch those guys work!

I used to be one of those skilled technicians building the custom models, Carmargue and Corniche, well before the German takeover.

The reason for all the hand fitting and building was because nothing fitted where it should and almost everything had to have a touch of hammer rash before they would fit right. Then the white metal lads would come in to cover up the damage done.

Because I was a smoker, one of my jobs was to trace leaks on the air conditioning. I would trace the suspect joints with a lit cigarette end until it glowed brighter, showing where the leak was, then it was just a matter of sticking a lump of black non setting putty over the hole, dozens of leaks on every car. If this wasn't done correctly, the customers used to complain of high pitch whistles coming from the dashboard area whilst driving.

You have most probably seen the finishing touches being done, not the actual builds.

Everything was purely cosmetic.

John

John,
If ever You have further statements to make on this subject, You may be assured of a large and receptive audience.
I'll be in there somewhere.

Best Regards,
Mike

Thanks John for the interesting background!
What we are shown is one thing but what actually happens is another totally different thing!

I remember flying home and watching discovery channel.
They had a series on how famous cars were made.
Very interesting stuff but they only showed the "Master" craftsman manipulating materials to fit.
They made it sound like it was custom because it was the best way to do it.
Know we now better!!!

And on to the chucks! ;D
The first one is a Pratt made for the ML& came with the certification papers.
A very nice, small 3 jaw chuck!
P1020827.jpg

P1020828.jpg

Second up is a rather odd 4 jaw chuck.
Hoping someone can shed some more light on it!
The jaws are reversed by loosening a bolt on the underside and turning the jaw around.
It also has a scale marked around the perimeter.
No makers marks or anything.
P1020824.jpg

P1020825.jpg

P1020826.jpg

Third is a Pratt 4 jaw narrow body!
P1020822.jpg

P1020823.jpg

And coming in fourth is another 4 jaw, British made.
Has a small crown makers mark on it.
Any ideas?
P1020821.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the show!

Andrew

I really really like that 4 jaw with the tee nuts
Its half 4 jaw, half face plate, I want one :big:
Maybe its of a R/T or somethink. Might have been modified I guess, it even has threaded holes like a 1-2-3 block.
Pete

Hey John,
I saw the same show and my cynical side of me was saying,,,,Where's the rubber mallets!

:big:

I knew I should have listened !

Dave

Latest posts

Back