Micrometer won't turn on

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidyat

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Brown & Sharpe/Micromaster Digital Micrometer, the one for $650.00 new. When I tried it recently, the numbers were faded in the window. Checked the battery and it was low. I ordered some new CR2032 batteries. When they arrived, I put in a new battery (the mic didn't have a battery in it for about a week), turned the dial, nothing. Replaced another battery, still won't work. How do you turn on the mic?
Thank you,
Grasshopper

Check the electrical contact surfaces the battery seats against. It's fairly common for them to become corroded enough to prevent good contact. A small piece of very fine sand paper or emery cloth should do it. Then be very careful to blow out any particles that might have been removed. Second can you check that new battery has enough charge to even work. They will die on the shelf if there old enough. There's a bit of information if it starts to then work but you get an error message at the bottom of the page here. Brown & Sharpe Micro-Master Digital Micrometer Getting the B&S mikes serviced seems to be a bit of an issue as Long Island Indicator mentions, but maybe you'll get lucky and it's something simple like that corrosion.

If this is the 0 - 1.2" measuring range mike, that's a huge surcharge just to get Swiss made and .200" extra length over one of the 1" Mitutoyo mikes with about the same resolution and accuracy.

I have a Starrett 0-1" digital micrometer that stopped working the 1st time I changed the CR2450 battery. Starrett tech support told me that some CR2450 batteries are a little thinner than the brand that they recommend (Varta). I popped in a new Varta and it worked fine after that.

Maybe check with B&S and see if they recommend a specific brand.

Stick with batteries manufactured in the US or EU. Batteries coming out of China never seem to have the staying power or even work in the first place.

I agree with you on battery selection. I did buy Duracell (you'd think they're good!). Saw they were manufactured in China. Tried 3 batteries in a row, none worked but did have 3.24 volts!!! Does anyone have a suggestion on USA made batteries?
Grasshopper

I threw my electronic tools in the trash I am tired of screwing with them. They were extra nice when they worked like they should but when they start giving me wrong numbers and numbers jump all over the place or no numbers at all I finally went back to using my old tools again. Better batteries worked for a while but when batteries get low there is no warning you start getting wrong number and don't know it until you have scraped the part you were making. Its also irritating when you need to use a tool and batteries are dead, if you order batteries online you wait several days for it to arrive other wise you driver all over town looking for a replacement battery and who knows how long that battery was setting on the store shelf it might only last 1 month.

Last edited:
Sorry reside in UK not sure who manufactures in US. However Starrett list PT61120 STARRETT BATTERY CR2450N 3V LITHIUM as recommended for their micrometer. .

Problem solved. And thanks to everyone for their suggestions. So these Duracells were made in China. OK, let's go with another brand and bought some Energizers. Popped one in and it fired right up. Works just fine now.
Grasshopper

Here's my solution to a caliper that constantly flattened its battery, piggybacked a AAA cell on the back with hot glue and ran some wires to the battery connections.

Attachments

• big battery.jpg
    big battery.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 121
I have a Brown & Sharpe/Micromaster Digital Micrometer, the one for $650.00 new. When I tried it recently, the numbers were faded in the window. Checked the battery and it was low. I ordered some new CR2032 batteries. When they arrived, I put in a new battery (the mic didn't have a battery in it for about a week), turned the dial, nothing. Replaced another battery, still won't work. How do you turn on the mic?
Thank you,
Grasshopper
Is battery upside-down 🔋.
Also check voltage of the battery 🔋.

Dave

There are variations in the dimensions of button cells - the specs allow for this. There are 3 possible issues with battery problems in digital tools or for that matter anything using button cells.
Are the contacts clean?
Some button cells have "child protection" clear adhesive stickers on one side - make sure they are removed and the cell suitably cleaned of any residue.
The most common cause is is non contact with the contacts. Gentle bending of both contacts usually solves the problem and make sure they are clean.
Also buy good quality cells from a known manufacturer. I have found that cells from an unknown and cheap supplier (on eBay) last for about 4 weeks in my Mitutoyo mic. Cells from know makers in their original packages last for well over 6 months.

We have a computer mouse that had the battery cover keep popping off now and then. Finally checked the batteries and one was slightly bigger ( used the MK1original issue eyeball). Replaced it and no problems. Quality must be slipping every where.

Just to complete the discussion. The SR44 button cell which is common in mics can be 0.449 to 0.469 inch diameter and still be in spec. So any set in the contacts will prevent operation. Solution - bend contacts!

Why did you order 2032's? 2450's are a different animal. 2032's are 20mm dia. x 3.2mm thick. 2450's are 24mm dia. and 5.0mm thick. Perhaps adding a thick piece of packing (metallic) to the 2032's would have worked.

Regards Ian.

Problem solved. And thanks to everyone for their suggestions. So these Duracells were made in China. OK, let's go with another brand and bought some Energizers. Popped one in and it fired right up. Works just fine now.
Grasshopper
ironically I worked at Duracell for quite a while. Sad to hear they went to China.

Back