Micro milling machine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwk

Reaction score
Hi all
Has anyone any experience of a Proxxon MF70 milling machine.
I am considering buying one purely for use in clockmaking. Any comments would be welcome

Unfortunately no experience so no help. My concern would be the size of the clocks you intend to make. For the most part I would say the machine is too small for the types of clocks that would be considered display clocks.

One consideration would the installation and use of a dividing head or rotary table. Obviously you could make smaller versions of these. Since I have little to no horology experience, I'm not sure if there are other tooling considerations. It might help to search the horology forums to get learned opinions.

I agree with Wizard69 and suggest that the writings of George Daniels. who was the guru of such things, would give lots of help.

I think that having a proper collection of tooling rather than what most of us use, would be helpful.

At a push, collets and auxiliary wheel cutters would work on say a Unimat 3 or 4 or its clone. Of course, the ability to use 'turns' and gravers does help. My Pultra 10 which is an instrument lathe was sold much to my regret now.

I hope that this goes some way to answer your question

Norm

As a second thought, you might be join MadModder as currently one of the regular posters is making a clock and cutting gears to Wilding's designs. Again, he is using an oldish quite small lathe which may be of constructive use in your planned future
N

Last edited:
I might add that it is very possible to have more machine that is needed or can easily be operated via manual means for small parts. So you want to right size based what you intend to be doing. This makes me wonder if you have considered slightly more capable machines like the Taig that keep you away from the heavier castiron machines.

Latest posts

Back