metric to inches

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Tranter

Reaction score
Is there a program out there that will translate metric to inch measurements?
John

J, I use my HF digital caliper to convert the number for me or one of my dro's. Sorry this won't help you much if you don't have either or need to convert a number that would be longer than the 6" caliper.

There are innumerable unit conversion programs available on the web. As an example...

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert/

On my site, you'll find UNIT which approaches unit conversion from a different viewpoint and is more flexible than most programs of this sort. If you do a lot of work with mixed Imperial and metric dimensions, you may find my MIX calculator useful.

However, given the fact that you'll be encountering metric more and more, it's worthwhile learning to do this simple conversion for yourself. The inch is defined as exactly 25.4 mm so simply divide your length in mm by 25.4 to obtain inches (or multiply inches by 25.4 to obtain mm).

The second most important tool in your shop should be an inexpensive scientific calculator. Shop around and you'll be able to find one for less than $5.

John:
Yes !!! if you look at the top left corner of your screen under menu you will see a section titled unit converter this will do what you ask.
Here is some additional info that may help. Some scientific calculators such as the TI 36 have built in unit conversion keys.
Also an excel spread sheet could be easily set up to do the calculations or generate a conversion chart.
If you are asking to convert plans for an engine here is another tip. True mm to inch conversion will give a bunch of odd dimensions.
A simpler method is making 1 mm =1/32" I know this is not a true conversion but eliminates odd dimensions.

This tip is from Steam and Stirling Book One by village press. Page 39
"Mr. DeGroot proposes that this system can be used for models not to a particular scale (such as required to fit a track gage) and which requires no castings. A metric design can be built to a 20% smaller scale by making 1 mm = 1/32" . if a larger model would be better a metric design can be made to a 60% larger scale by making each mm = to 1/16 of an inch."

The second most important tool in your shop should be an inexpensive scientific calculator. Shop around and you'll be able to find one for less than $5.
Very true Marv I have recently found TIs at thrift stores and rummage sales in the $.25 to $1.00 range.
Hope this helps
Tin

Thank you all for the replies. I want to make Jan Ridders egg cup sterling That Bogstandard is building.

Thank you again
John

Latest posts

Back