Metal that springs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an idea and I need to make this piece. The piece is .156 in diameter. The end is going to have to spring open .020 inches and then return to its original diameter when installed. Thats about the same as the width of the slot. I also need to solder a wire to it. I was going to make it from brass but it seems it will crack if i do.

Is there something out there that will act as a spring, be machinable, and take solder.

untitled.JPG

Hi Steve, I have made small parts out of brass that needed to be somewhat springy, like the caps that go over the ends of my spark plugs. They work ok as long as you don't go beyond the elasticity point of the metal. I would say if you want to work with non ferrous metal stay with something like a bearing bronze instead of brass. You might also think about making it out of drill rod and hardening and tempering it. That would make it like a collet and you can solder to it. Most all ferrous metals will take solder.
gbritnell

gbritnell said:
I have made small parts out of brass that needed to be somewhat springy, like the caps that go over the ends of my spark plugs.

That is what i was making the part for. It is supposed to snap over the tip of a spark plug. What do you use? Is your part included in the drawing set for the I4? Did my check show up yet?

Hi Steve,
Got the check. Drawings and CD are going out first class in the morning. I don't have a drawing for the cap with the set but I will sketch it up and post it here within the next few days. I made mine out of brass to fit over the top of a Rimfire plug. I have pulled them on and off numerous times and they still snap in place. I have them on my Holt. I also use the vacuum fitting elbows for insulator caps. I got the information from Ron Colonna and they work great. Here's a link to where I got them.
gbritnell
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
Type in part #47410 by Dorman

Hi Steve. I just had a thought! (I know... its hard to believe :big:)

Before you slot and/or cut off the cap, would it be possible to cut a groove on the outer diameter close to the open end, and slip on one coil cut from the proper diameter spring?

This would help to keep tension on the cap for a more positive connection and assure successful installation and removal. ;)

Hope you follow what I mean.

Edit: It might be a good idea to temporarily slip in a close fitting piece of rod to prevent the cap from a collapse during the installation of the spring coil.

-MB

Thanks G. The part looks like a boot.

Butcher, I had thought about cutting a groove and putting a c-clip on the outside diameter. Tell the wife that there is someone out there who thinks just like you. Then say "no really" about 5 times!
That's what i do.

I have posted a quick sketch for the cap that I use for my spark plugs in the 'Plans' area.
gbritnell

Here in Europe, the in the CEE type power plugs, they use brass for the male and female contacts. The female is just a cylindrical piece with a hole depending on the current and with 4 slits like a collet. To keep contact pressure they use a springy clip around the outside. I can get a picture if you like.

Back