Metal spinning

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knut26500

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm in need of some end caps for a copper tube, which I want to convert into water tanks and chuff pots for live steam engines.
Who has/can make/supply end caps, either from copper or brass. The tube is OD80mm and ID76mm.
Person/s who is/are willing to help in the supply must also be willing to ship internationally.
Thanks.

Hi ,do you have a lathe.When making boiler baffles for 4" tube i turned a disc from say 8thk plt steel to the required dia.Clamp a copper disc of the required thickness to it and hammer over the edge to the former'I then clamped in the lathe and faced the edge and skimmed the OD.Its not Difficult Regards barry

Reactions: gus
The copper must be annealed first before spinning on the lathe. Do it same with other materials before spinning except aluminium who is very soft to be spunned in lathe. Without annealing the material will get crack under spinning.

Reactions: gus
Hi,
I did a couple of end caps for a piece of 50mm tube yesterday. I started by spinning them in the lathe over a wooden mandrel with a diameter which was 2x the thickness of the flat copper less than the ID of the tube. I was making very slow progress as I had to keep re-annealing the work. I had a short length of the tube (about 1/2") so I hammered the disc over the mandrel as best I could and then hammered it through the offcut with the mandrel. It worked OK and I then pushed it into the tube and brazed it in.
If I was doing it again I would have used a mandrel with a smaller diameter as it was hard getting the mandrel out of the endcap after it was hammered through the offcut.

Hi Abby, here are the sizes and quantities.

3x flat end cap with a 6mm rim and with a ID of 79.5mm. To be used as a lid of the tube.
3x domed end cap with a 6mm rim with a OD of 75.5mm. To be soldered into the tube.
6x flat disks with a diameter of 100mm.
The tube has an OD of 79mm and an ID of 75.5mm.
Either brass or copper, maybe 1.6mm.
Will obviously pay. Stay in Namibia.
Regards.

Here's my dished end done on a steel former with copper blank annealed.
My ''vee engine'' plant with gas fired boiler by now 10 year old very 'antiqy''. Silver brazing has since improved after some demo by a refrigeration plumber friend with Triple Burner Torch.
SteamJet beats us hands down with his punch die and forming die on a screw press.His dished ends are very well done.th_wav My next ends would be done with DIY hydraulic press if I decide
to go into locomotives.

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

ABBY.very nice and proffessional,reminds me of my apprenticeship for
a very good engineering co.We used to make home made punch and dies
to fit the 10t hydraulic press.One guvvy job was a former to press a Halfcrown
coin to form a thimble.This was then cut thru and turned to form a silver ring
with the date etc on the inside.Pre 1920 2/6p was 100% silver.1920 to 1946 was 50% silver and modern was cupro nickel.Brings back memories

Guys I did not intend to disappoint , I showed the pictures as an example of another way to produce the parts.
The end caps pictured are 1 3/4" OD with a 1/4" flange , they were for a boiler for LBSC's DOT.
I made the tooling anticipating sales of at least 50 units , but unfortunately the project was cancelled. I would have to make new tools for other sizes which would be too expensive for only 3 or even 10 pieces.
I can produce parts such as lost wax castings , machined components etc but only affordably priced if the quantities are large enough to justify making the jigs and tooling.
I do have a range of gauge1 locomotive parts which you can view on my website/forum
www.unionsteammodels.co.uk
Baz pre 1920 British silver coins are sterling silver .925 not 100% , then like you say 50% until 1946 , I have a very large collection of both , all found with a metal detector.
The earliest is a silver Elizabeth I penny and I have examples of silver 3d , double florins and crowns as well as the regular denomination coins.
In the late 60's when detectors were a new craze you could go to local fairgrounds etc and almost shovel the coins up , copper coins we used to weigh in for scrap as the metal value was greater than the face value ................happy days.

Last edited:
Abby the link is not working and giving an error message.

Michael

Latest posts

Back