Metal Muffins

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jerry

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I don't know what these are but I found a bucket full of them while poking around the scrapyard yesterday. They look like little muffins that the baker forgot to add the baking soda to and they are even heavier. They have a coarse gray surface that looks like hot dip zinc and no rust. The magnet liked them so I picked up a half dozen. 3" OD, 3/8" thick, 5/8" center hole. Fifty cents per pound.

Donkeyengine012.jpg

When I got home, I chucked one up in the lathe and hacked the crust off the face with a a carbide tool. The crust came off hard and dusty. I thought I saw something useful under the crust so I kept on cutting away the crust and this is what I found inside. I decorated them with some aluminum that I had on hand. I don't know what I will use them for but I think they are pretty.

Donkeyengine005.jpg

I tried painting one and I think it is pretty too.

Donkeyengine023.jpg

Jerry

Jerry,

I think for the things we do in our own little empires, as long as it isn't dangerous to us in any way, almost anything we find can be used for something or other.

We shouldn't be thinking about hard and fast rules about materials , unless it is for some highly stressed area that is going to be moving for hundreds of hours, if it feels strong enough, looks strong enough, then it will most probably be plenty strong enough.

It looks like you have found the perfect home for your bits of 'unknown'.

Nice.

Bogs

Bogstandard said:
Jerry,

I think for the things we do in our own little empires, as long as it isn't dangerous to us in any way, almost anything we find can be used for something or other.

We shouldn't be thinking about hard and fast rules about materials , unless it is for some highly stressed area that is going to be moving for hundreds of hours, if it feels strong enough, looks strong enough, then it will most probably be plenty strong enough.

It looks like you have found the perfect home for your bits of 'unknown'.

Nice.

Bogs

I have run with this theory for years, I am no metalurgist and most of the metal i find is of unknown origins so even if I did know what i needed I couldn't id it :-\
as you say "feel" is a big part and I don't tend to get involved with high stress, except everyday life ;)

Back